Sushi Has A Problem

Anielynn

Hmmm...Were you able to add salt? I'd try applying iodine solution on that spot. If it is going worse, chances are it's a bacterial infection and might get ulcerated if not prevented. It looks that way to me. I had one oranda whose cheeky wen got a red spot like that too or similar to MrsMohr's Bartleby but the clean water, salt and iodine solution helped prevented its progress.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darn. I was sure hoping i wasn't going to have to take him out and do it. I have been debating on a dab of peroxide but was to chicken to do it. It is actually a little meaty looking under the scale. I wish i could get a decent pic. I will pick up iodine tomorrow if you really think that will do the trick. I will need step by step instructions. I have never played fishie doctor before ever.

Ok....looks more like breeding behavoir! Not bully-ing! Any sniff of eggs.....male fish that hasn't developed stars yet (very difficult to find on oranda btw) will chase all fish male or female in tank!!!

It looks more like a scrape to me! Like Sue said, salt to .1%. However just a dab, one time of HP will do wonders! Get brave you can do it! Have someone stand next to you with already wet swab and gently touch. It is easy and not soo stressful. Should clear up in a day or two. Really!

:heart

Steph, all you need is careful handling of the fish. Grab the Q-tip and slightly apply the iodine solution on the spot. Hold it on for a few seconds while allowing the fish to breathe in the water. That's all I needed to keep the wen sore from further infection. If you have Vit C, add it to their foods to ensure the fish can fight off infections. Good luck.:)

I just don't know if it is breeding behavior or not. I think it is a she. There is a very pronounced outie. And she does the nipping worse when she sees me at the tank."food time." But since i won't have the iodine until tomorrow i decided to get my feet wet with the peroxide. I am not at all choosing which advice to take so don't misunderstand Lupin. You are both so helpful and i really am grateful. I am guessing it can only help at this point and it definitely helped me gain courage. And my daughter. Lol. She loves touching the fish. So she lifted and i dabbed. And Sushi jumped when i touched it. I think it is sore. So we immediately put him back in the water. I hope that was right. And then fed him to make him forget the mistreatment. It worked. Lol.

Do you do the iodine under the water?

Edited by Anielynn

Okay. Well good. I am soooo relieved to have it over. I have been trying to talk myself into it all week. Sushi just cannot get an ulcer. That just sounds painful. So do you think i could see results by in the morning?

Lol!!! I just keep forgetting to add the salt answer don't i? But yes i have been salted at .1% since Sunday or Monday. Tell me a little more about vitamin C. Is that in addition to the multivitamin i already add? And if so how much should i add?

Ahh..I didn't know you already have multivitamins added in their food. It should be adequate enough although the capsules with pure sodium ascorbate can be added into the food if you don't have multivitamins around. It helps boost their immune system hence why I advised earlier adding it but you don't need to add a capsule if you have multivitamins. A capsule is enough for one recipe that is almost a bowlful (unless the bowl size depends where we live?lol).

I think it may be even redder today. If it isn't getting better in a day or two i will have to try something else. Any idea what that might be in case i have to make preparations?

I don't have anything substantial to add, but just wanted to tell you that I'm following this thread and keeping my fingers crossed for you that Sushi's problem clears up soon. Why does it always have to be our favorite fish with the problems? At least it seems that way sometimes.

Hang in there. You're getting great advice from real experts and I'm sure something will work soon.

Thank you. Sushi is my favorite and i want this over like yesterday! I am beginning to tell it is bothering him. I caught him brushing past a plant today. And nipping at Luna. That was a first. I think it hurts and he is grouchy. I am thinking about taking him out of the big tank and put him in a rubbermaid tub. With totally fresh water and salt. I have 4 filters on my big tank so i can yank one of those and it should cycle the tub just fine. Or is that added stress?

Thank you. Sushi is my favorite and i want this over like yesterday! I am beginning to tell it is bothering him. I caught him brushing past a plant today. And nipping at Luna. That was a first. I think it hurts and he is grouchy. I am thinking about taking him out of the big tank and put him in a rubbermaid tub. With totally fresh water and salt. I have 4 filters on my big tank so i can yank one of those and it should cycle the tub just fine. Or is that added stress?

This is fine, hun. I don't feel like advising any other treatments other than constantly watching it for now. It's risky to treat because the way the problem is described, it is simply irritated and the spot may have been aggravated by its constant brushing around decors. Until then, I'd just go with clean water and salt and refrain it from scratching around abrasive surfaces. If it becomes an open sore, it may be considered ulcerated and another round of topical treatment may be needed eventually. Hopefully not. Crossing my fingers for you.00001649.gif

Today.

DSC01357.JPG

I haven't removed him from the tank yet. I have kept it clean and salted. But last night our power was off for several hours and it is worse today. If i put him in a rubbermaid i won't even be able to see it. I guess that's why i have hesitated.

I haven't seen him doing it anymore but that doesn't mean he isn't. He could be.The other fish could even bump it occasionally.

This is baffling me a bit.doh11.gif The hydrogen peroxide suggested by Stephie was supposed to help but maybe because it was not an open sore but just a red sore possibly from irritation, it could not. I wonder if this needs another dab with betadine. Betadine seems rather mild but as this is not an open sore, I feel a bit edgy to suggest dabbing again. Does it seem open, Steph? The photo makes it look like a scale is lifting off there.

Okay, I'd just switch to betadine in this case. This is up to you though if you feel you want to do it. If it were me, I'd grab the betadine and apply the topical treatment again. This might help prevent it from going ulcerated which is more fatal.

Okay. What are the usual reasons for only wanting to dab it once? And is betadine something i find in the pharmacy or at the pet store. This can't turn fatal.

I am going to do it tomorrow. When i take him out and dab it. What keeps the medicine from getting in the tank and polluting the water?