Black Mollies For Marine Tanks

caitie

I've been reading up on the net that you can adapt black mollies to marine tanks. Apparently you need to acclimate them over a few days. I've been wanting to try it because I think they would be really cool looking among the live rock and corals. I was wondering if any of you have ever tried this before? I've read accounts where some people have had them for a long time in the saltwater tanks and the mollies do very well. I would love to know if you have experiences good or bad with this, or if you have ideas about this because I'm thinking of trying it out after the holidays when I have a bit more time.

I had an inadvertent experience with that! My dad used to keep SW and we intended to feed my lionfish a couple black mollies I bred because they were taking over. To my surprise, the mollies survive the lionfish for two years before we quitted SW. There was no acclimation involved but this is by pure luck I think so I would suggest acclimating your mollies first. They will be fine with the salinity. They are just one of the very few versatile fish that can survive hard alkaline FW, brackish and SW but ironically, cannot survive soft acidic FW.

Thanks for you experience Lupin, that was interesting . So I guess a couple hours of drip acclimating would be sufficient.

I wouldn't recommend them for a mini-reef however, as their constant pecking would irritate the corals from opening up.

I wondered about that myself, but considering my cleaner shrimp and my hermits are constantly picking at the corals and the corals don't seem bothered I think it might be okay. Actually I was more worried about the mollies because my ricordia eat quite large pieces of seafood. Most people think you don't have to feed them but I feed mine by dropping seafood on them and believe me they have a big mouth. Here are two pictures to prove it. In the first one it is eating one of my shrimps molt. :scared That scared me until I found the two shrimps alive.

killerssnack033.jpg

In this one it is eating a piece of seafood. The shrimp just wanted a free snack. :D

DSCF3391.jpg

Thanks Lupin. I just wish the corals would cooperate and stop moving around! :D In the begin I spent hours trying to aquascape and a few weeks later everyone had moved. Not always in the best place. :(

Soft corals is your thing eh? I guess they wouldn't be as sensitive to picking as stony corals...

BTW, if your corals are actually moving from their spots, then it's obviously because the "best" spot you put them in is obviously not the spot they feel comfortable in. This is the reason why reefers generally stock their mini-reefs sparsely as first, so as to have extra room available in case their coral makes it clear it wants to relocate.

Edited by Man Yu

Soft corals is your thing eh? I guess they wouldn't be as sensitive to picking as stony corals...

BTW, if your corals are actually moving from their spots, then it's obviously because the "best" spot you put them in is obviously not the spot they feel comfortable in. This is the reason why reefers generally stock their mini-reefs sparsely as first, so as to have extra room available in case their coral makes it clear it wants to relocate.

Yes I finally learned that but for someone who only dealt with freshwater, where aquascaping is so important to have a nice tank, well lets just say it was a hard learning process. ;) And of course some of your prettiest corals always decide to go hide in the back of the rock where you can't see them. :D