When Do I Make The Decision?

Sushi13

When I first purchased Sushi...he was about the size of a silver dollar and he lived in a 10 gallon tank. I upgraded him three months later into a 20 gallon.

It's been over a year now touching two years in September 2010.

Sushi is 3 1/2 inches in body/4 inches in tail fin alone. He still has plenty of room in the 20 gallon BUT I have a 55 gallon downstairs in the basement that my old Oscar (King) used to live in. Miss my Oscar to death! R.I.P. :(

The tank has not been used in 2 1/2 years. I tossed out the filters and the lids STUPID ME!

I am highly considering moving Sushi to the 55 gallon in April BUT he will be so small in a big tank. Should I wait one more year? Or move him in Spring?

I'd move him in asap. He may look small in there at first, but that just gives him more room to groooow! And also get some roommates ;)

I thought my babies looked tiny in their 50 too, but after a while, when you see the way they scoot all over the place, you start to think maybe they need more room... and more... and more! LOL

Seems like everyone agrees with the idea....but don't I need to let the tank run for 30-90 days w/out fish even though the tank has not been used in a while? I do need to buy a new filter and lids too, but I won't be able to get it until January.

Oh when I was younger how I used to throw a fish in water without knowing any better. Yeah. Let's not repeat the past. LOL!

Chloe and Emily are right! If you have established filter media and substrate, you won't need to cycle the fishless way or anything as tedious as that.:)

Hope Sushi will like his new home! Are you going to give him a new mate by Christmas?:D

Yep move him. Cycle the tank with rocks and or filter media. Leave the 20 gallon set up to QT your new goldfish to go in the 55.

I envy you room to go fish shopping. newfish.gifexactly.gif

Alright, alright. Sushi will be moving in his 55 gallon home in January because the Christmas tree is in its place right now, so he does have to wait.

BUT I am not sure if I want to buy him a friend...it would be a other black moor like him but the last time I did it, he bullied it to almost death!