My Defective Orandas

HNLim

As an amateur goldfish hobbyist, I was told recently by a professional goldfish dealer that I have been having oranda with defective tail joint as shown in the red circle.

2yxm0c5.jpg

29gbpeh.jpg

All along, I had thought that this is what gives my orandas that unique tail spread that made my orandas beautiful or at least that is how I feel. I am confused now. What do you think?

The tail does look more ranchu-like the way it seems to be curved downwards a little. Maybe that's what the dealer meant? I'm not too sure, but either way I think it's a beautiful fish :)

This is what gives the fish its "Oza rings" and a broad tail base for a strong tail.

I firmly believe that a fish doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful. My two fantails have many "flaws" but I don't love them any less for them, it makes them unique. Unless you are using your fish for showing, I wouldn't worry about any "defects" they have.

Therein lies the problem, he is using them for showing!

I would maybe get another opinion on that, he might just be jealous of your fish! I would also check the parents, particularly the junior champion mother, if she's got it and still can win then it may well be that it's either something that isn't factored into the judging or the dealer is wrong and your orandas just have a different tail spread to yours, maybe his are the ones that are defective!

Edited by devilduck

Therein lies the problem, he is using them for showing!

I would maybe get another opinion on that, he might just be jealous of your fish! I would also check the parents, particularly the junior champion mother, if she's got it and still can win then it may well be that it's either something that isn't factored into the judging or the dealer is wrong and your orandas just have a different tail spread to yours, maybe his are the ones that are defective!

I sure hope you are right.

Do your other show winning fish have the same tail joint? At your next show, look at the other winning fish and see if they have the same or similar joint. Either way, they are still gorgeous fish!

Edited by ConverseWithMyConverse

Agreed with Sarah and Converse. Goldfish shows are not exactly my specialty however they do bring good points. Being inexperienced in this kind of profession, it is always a good idea to observe other showcases to be certain you are following what they classify as standardized show guidelines.

I have no experience in fish shows, but with dogs, I know that certain judges prefer certain things. Even things that at one point were complete no-nos become more popular when a few people start to like it and breed for it (like a "dish" face or rounder eyes in collies). Maybe that guy just preferred his orandas to have slightly different tails. The standard is up to interpretation to a certain point.

When you look at the oranda from the top, you will be able to see between one to four rows of scales lining neatly like a bracelet or a string of pearls (scales) lining the edges of the tail joint between the body and tail. The wider the tail base the more the number of rings. This I call them "Oza rings" or "pearl bracelets".

Ok, my Junior Champion have these rings. The problem is because of its pitch black colour, it is not obvious. Moreover, I notices that as the fish ages, this clear demarcations disappears as these define lines gets "filled-up" and disappears. I have always been looking forward to these lines in my every new spawn, but was disappointed to learn that these are defects.

I am confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HNLim, I would not consider them defects.:( Perhaps from some show aficionados, they are but ask any of us here and we like to appreciate every effort poured to make the goldfish truly beautiful as they are. Ask for more opinions from other show aficionados instead of listening to just one.:)

If the pearl lines are a defect but they disappear as they get older are they really a problem? It just means you might have to wait a bit longer before showing them, people can't see them if they're no longer there and they don't need to know if they were or not. I would really get some professional opinions, not just some dealer guy's, being a professional dealer does not necessarily make him a professional goldfish judge and it doesn't make him a professional breeder either. Don't go getting rid of all your fish based on one person's opinion, that would be horrific especially if he turns out to be wrong.

Mr. Lim, these fish are not defective at all! If the junior champion mother had the tail, and she has been judged worthy by bigger and better professionals that this critic, then I think there is nothing to worry about.

and I also fully agree with Converse - standards in judged animals certainly can change. Maybe you are setting a new trend with your cutely tail-tucked orandas! Maybe that was the look that the judges found so appealing.

In the end, all you can do is see if these "Defective" fish keep winning awards. If they do, then you know you are really on to something. If they don't, then perhaps it is the tail that is doing it, and you can try to breed that out of it.

Personally, I like the tail tuck, and since it gives them a more powerful swim, it makes them look healthy and hearty rather than giant sickly pedigree monsters. I think it is this vibrancy and strength that the judges enjoy seeing, after witnessing so many goldfish that look barely alive under all their fine bloodlines that make them almost unable to move!

your fish are beautiful, Mr. Lim!!

I like the tail tuck and wide spread too. And if this is a quality you like in your fish and it is making your fish more beautiful than i wouldn't listen to them. Just show the older ones where it is less apparent. How can new and better fish be bred if some change and improvement isn't achieved. But i personally don't like a lot of the show quality fish pics i have seen. Some of them look miserable. Yours definitely don't. They are amazing.

Edited by Anielynn

Ok now I will show pictures of their father to give you guys a better picture.

(Pardon me as I am repeating these picture in the other thread)

5bxjyv.jpg

2u8uqnk.jpg