Sign in to follow this  
the goldfish man

What Tank To Get

Hi everybody long time no see i hope your all well and everything is good

i am thinking about starting to keep fish again. after a few years not keeping them i miss things. for those who dont know i stopped due to work and moving house (150 miles away)

I want to keep some firemouth cichlids. but am a little confused on what tank would be best. i was looking at the Juwel Rio 180 Aquarium its around the price i am happy to spend on one and also works out at 40 uk gallons and 48 us gallons. 3 feet in lenth.

would this tank be big enough in size?

for the quantity of fish i would keep in there it would probably be 2 firemouth cichlids male and femail (hoping to bread with them) as i am aware they like there own space. But would i get away with keeping any other fish in there? small ones big ones? i dont know what would be best if any

could some one also give me a link or info on firemouths i read up on them a few years back now so i have probably forgot more then i know so it would be good to have another read. the info i guess i really want is what decor would need to be put into the tank i think i am right in saying lots of hiding places but apart from that anything else? sand? gravel? plants?

thank you for reading

and again hope your all well

I would start by searching using something like google. I reallly don't know much about firemouths. Your tank sounds the right size for a pair or one male and two females. Not sure how they do best. In two's or three's.

Good luck

The Aquarium Wiki is usually a great place to start researching any fish species; they usually have the basic info plus links to other more comprehensive sites.

Their entry on Firemouths is here: http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Firemouth

They recommend a 55g.

Firemouths are really nice cichlids - they have some spunk but are not big jerks, nor do they get gigantic! :) They are also really cheap to acquire! We sold them for around five dollars at the pet store I used to work at.