Bandit Might Be Dying

caitie

Thanks Imo. And you have a special place in both of our hearts too. :heart With out you I am sure Bandit wouldn't have made it through all his problems.

Just a quick update: Even with two 90% wc a day the ammonia stays at 0.1 is that normal? Is this something that will affect Bandit? Right now he is just a really happy little camper all fins up and swimming better and better every day. :D

And I saw the first worm, very small but definately alive, crawling along the bottom of the tank. :yikes Apart from siphoning them out is there something else to do? Is there a danger that they will reinfect him? I ask because Bandit (whom I am seriously considering renaming Hoover)is very good at cleaning off the bottom of his tank. ;)

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for asking Sarah. He is doing fairly well he passed 1 small worm (alive) and 1 fairly big dead worm. :blink: I'm still battling this cycle bump, his ammonia won't go lower than 0.1 no matter how many wc I do. It looks as though he has some internal bruises on the white part of his body but he is acting perfectly normal. :idont I like to think he is finally gaining a little in size. :) I'll have to try and get a picture up so we can compare.

Have you tested your water source for ammonia?

I have been thinking about suggesting a bucket with an "air driven filter" of just zeolite for "aging" tap water with ammonia in it to other members. I haven't tested this, so I am not sure how it would work, but you would basically set up a bucket (or large storage bin) with an airpump. The airpump would drive air -- and thus pull water -- through a bag of zeolite. The zeolite would remove the ammonia and you could use the now ammonia free water for water changes.

That is assuming your tap has ammonia.......

So it seems confirmed that worms are indeed present in Bandit.unsure.gif Your brother was not kidding when he mentioned he swore he saw something in Bandit before.blink.gif

Have you tested your water source for ammonia?

I have been thinking about suggesting a bucket with an "air driven filter" of just zeolite for "aging" tap water with ammonia in it to other members. I haven't tested this, so I am not sure how it would work, but you would basically set up a bucket (or large storage bin) with an airpump. The airpump would drive air -- and thus pull water -- through a bag of zeolite. The zeolite would remove the ammonia and you could use the now ammonia free water for water changes.

That is assuming your tap has ammonia.......

Yes I did test my tap water but it shows 0 ammonia so I have to assume it is my cycle that is messed up. I expect all the meds I used have really destroyed most of the good bacteria. :oops:

So it seems confirmed that worms are indeed present in Bandit.unsure.gif Your brother was not kidding when he mentioned he swore he saw something in Bandit before.blink.gif

Yes poor Bandit has passed at least three worms that I saw. But I still see some of those white marks inside his abdomen. My brother worried me tonight by mentioning that if we see, what appears to be worms in his abdomen then they will not be passing through his intestines??? I had just assumed the worms were in his intestines, is it possible they are also in his body elsewhere? And if so :please tell me that they won't go through his flesh? I have to stop discussing my fish with my bro. :rolleyes:

Some worms can encyst in the muscle/flesh of the fish. Others live in the intestines. Either way, neither is an immediate death sentence since parasites depend on the life of their host for their life.

But obviously its best to get rid of them!!

Did you repeat the Jungle anti parasite food, it has to be repeated with intervals at least 3 X I think..:unsure: to disrupt the life cycle...and you can always add prazi and 0.1% salt again...

Some worms can encyst in the muscle/flesh of the fish. Others live in the intestines. Either way, neither is an immediate death sentence since parasites depend on the life of their host for their life.

But obviously its best to get rid of them!!

Did you repeat the Jungle anti parasite food, it has to be repeated with intervals at least 3 X I think..:unsure: to disrupt the life cycle...and you can always add prazi and 0.1% salt again...

Yes he has had two treatments with the Jungle anti parasite food. My bottle says to repeat four times so I will give him the full treatment. Can I do the prazi at the same time? And can I add salt even if I can't get the ammonia lower than 0.1? I would suspect my test kit was bad but it is testing 0 in all my other tanks.

Tricky. It really is best to clear the ammonia spike first. Then when you are sure the cycle is stable do the prazi/low salt.

Just wanted to give a quick update on Bandit. I think he is starting to gain a little weight and his tail is healing fine. :) I'm still trying to get his cycle back under control, at least the ammo is almost all gone but he now has low levels of nitrite showing up. He seems to love getting 2 wc a day. Here is a pic of him right after his bedtime wc. (Notice the tail. :D )

DSCF4711.jpg

I have a question or two to ask once again. I think the antibiotics totally destroyed my cycle because I keep getting 0.25 ammo even with two wc a day. Bandit seems fine he is active, his tail is still regrowing very well and he eats well (gel food or peas) but he is still floaty and he sometimes has thin hairlike stool. Sometimes his stool is normal and sometimes thin and white. I just finished the four weeks of Jungle antiparasite food. Could these symptoms still be be parsite related or could they be because his tank is still cycling? I wonder how his tank will cycle if I'm doing 80% wc twice a day? I ask because I don't want him to get sick again after all he has been through. :(

Guest Kelsang

Thin stool is usually stress which the po guy has been going through :(

The cycle needs ammonia for bacteria to feed on so if you have a conditioner that doesn't bind ammonia, it could work. But in your case, ammonia needs to be gone....

Antibiotics knock out bacteria good and bad. Bandit needs time to get strong after antibiotics. Feed him supernutrtious food with plenty of vitamin C. The stringy alternating poo is probably his adjusting to the change in diet and getting his stomach's good bacteria back.

:thanks I wanted to be sure he was still doing okay. I've been feeding him gel food made with veggies and sardines, vitamin C and acidophilus in it. Lupin suggested that a while back. I was mostly worried that the ammonia keeps creeping up on the poor little guy, I guess I just have to continue with the wcs.

I had a slight panic when I saw this thread had been posted in again...I thought there'd been another issue with Mr Bandit! I'm glad to hear he's doing well and it's more of a small concern query than a disaster. How is his tail doing now? Is he likely to be able to go back with his buddies anytime soon or is he staying separate for a while longer? Can we have a picture?!?!?!?! wink.gif

Just wondering, is it worth dosing the other fish for worms? I'd have thought it unlikely he'd be the only one in the tank with them and you really don't want a repeat.

I had a slight panic when I saw this thread had been posted in again...I thought there'd been another issue with Mr Bandit! I'm glad to hear he's doing well and it's more of a small concern query than a disaster. How is his tail doing now? Is he likely to be able to go back with his buddies anytime soon or is he staying separate for a while longer? Can we have a picture?!?!?!?! wink.gif

Just wondering, is it worth dosing the other fish for worms? I'd have thought it unlikely he'd be the only one in the tank with them and you really don't want a repeat.

His tail is really growing great :) I don't think he'll be going back with the other two since my main tank was already overstocked and Hercules is a little bully. :D For some reason the blackmoor is okay with him but Bandit is still too small compared to them. I'll probably try to get him his own tank, if I can sneak it in pass my landlord ;)

I'm terrible with a camera and Bandit doesn't cooperate much but I'll try to post some pictures tonight.

As for dosing the others for worms I did think about it but they aren't showing any of his symptoms and seem in really good health, so I thought I would just wait and see. They weren't together very long and they also don't come from the same store. They had a month of prazi and salt when I bought them and then when I removed Bandit from that tank I treated it with salt and prazi for another month, so I think (hope is more like it) it should be okay.