Bandit Might Be Dying

caitie

Oh Edith you really don't need this now do you?! I can see the white ring too, but I'm not experienced enough to say if it's a worm or not, just thought I'd add another 'I can see something there'. I know how much of a pain it is trying to get things to show in photos, I spent ages trying to get pics of marks on Tigger and they just wouldn't show. Have you tried putting him in a small glass dish to get photos? You'll be able to get top shots then too and that'll show any unusual bulges and also make it easier to see how skinny he is.

Thinking of you, hope he pulls through. And I wouldn't shop at that fish store again, sounds like their supplier is majorly overstocked so all the fish are really stunted.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you!! He is such a little trouper, dont give up on him. Worms would explain a lot! And are soooo hard to diagnose..if you have seen them and small nodules/cysts in the butt area may well mean that he has some internal worms- then you should get some anti parasite food into him. It is fine to use with the last day of Kanaplex.

Lupin that is amazing. Large worms? Can you see if they have a segmented middles?They are in the anterior intestine yes?

Alright I'll start the antiparasite food this morning is there something else I need to do or watch out for?

Oh Edith you really don't need this now do you?! I can see the white ring too, but I'm not experienced enough to say if it's a worm or not, just thought I'd add another 'I can see something there'. I know how much of a pain it is trying to get things to show in photos, I spent ages trying to get pics of marks on Tigger and they just wouldn't show. Have you tried putting him in a small glass dish to get photos? You'll be able to get top shots then too and that'll show any unusual bulges and also make it easier to see how skinny he is.

Thinking of you, hope he pulls through. And I wouldn't shop at that fish store again, sounds like their supplier is majorly overstocked so all the fish are really stunted.

Thanks Sarah :heart But I'm afraid to try and move him to a bowl or doing anything that might stress him more than he is. And that store has been off my list for a while but I had chosen all of my fish at the same time. Bandit is the last of that bunch. But actually the store itself is very good at least it looks very good. Their tanks are never full, they only get a few fish delivered every week and the tanks are well kept. I hardly ever saw a sick or a dead fish in one of their tanks. I think the problem comes from their supplier as you said. But I'm not taking any chances.

Imo, it's a little tricky but the white worms appear to be tubular in shape. No segments I can see though.

Hmm. Tubular...flatworms or roundworms. Anyway BOTH can be treated with Jungle anti-parasite if you can get it.

Have you EVER seen worms or what could be worms in his tank caitie? Only we had one case here (member called grain) whose worms came out at night and ate the tail and deteriorating parts of the body :(, I dont mean to alarm you, I do know Jungle anti-parasite is GOOD! Very good...

Imo, it's a little tricky but the white worms appear to be tubular in shape. No segments I can see though.

Have you EVER seen worms or what could be worms in his tank caitie? Only we had one case here (member called grain) whose worms came out at night and ate the tail and deteriorating parts of the body :(, I dont mean to alarm you, I do know Jungle anti-parasite is GOOD! Very good...

OMG :yikes Now I'll be afraid to look in the tank at night. :scared No I never saw worms or anything else weird in his tank. And for once I am prepared. I've had to rush out to the store so many times for Bandit recently and it was always at the worst possible time. So when I went to get the Kanaplex I picked up some Jungle antiparasite food because I read around here that if your fish develop dropsy and you can't get mm's this stuff has some in it.

By the way should I be worried about the main tank where he was when all this started????

Edited by caitie

So you have some new in the house now??:hi5

It depends what kind of worms they are but they can be transmitted through poop usually...like if the fish nose around with that..and...no polite way to describe that.

Yes fresh bought New year's eve. :hi5 That will be his breakfast in a few hours.

Edited by caitie

Feed plenty. As much as he wants and remove leftovers. Leftovers are not good and the smell of leftovers rotting will put him off eating them again. These are not as appetising a flavor as the antibacterial pellets.

No problem, hun. My ID of the worms may not be accurate as it has been very tricky to figure it out.

Imo, do you think Bandit should at least be kept in a barebottom tank to make it easier to monitor the intestinal worms in case they come out? With gravel, wouldn't it be tricky to observe their presence especially with organic matter around?

Oops! I failed to answer your other question of the worm(s)'s location. The one pointed with an arrow is near the kidney area and intestine area. The other I might be mistaken about is just near the intestine area. The third "worm" I suspected is the white poop because it seems to connect inside the abdominal area as a white string. Amazing Bandit's abdominal area is somehow almost see-through.

Yes, there is gravel as far as I can tell from the pic. The tank Bandit is in, is decorated hence why I pointed out the possibility that Bandit would be better off in the barebottom tank.:)

Bad news. Bandit doesn't respond he just floats around belly up. He did swim a little bit when I disturbed him but he won't even try to eat. The food is right near his mouth and he ignores it. :cry1 That really scares me because throughout all his troubles he never ever lost his appetite.

Yes the tank is decorated with fake plants and gravel. Should I remove them? And if I do how would I go about doing it so my cycle doesn't get too messed up? I ask these questions but I don't think it will be necessary considering his present condition.

sorry- so many tanks-so many fish- :krazy:

What I suggest you do caitie is keep all the gravel in the tank but put it in a stocking hose something like this:

P1010116.jpg

This will protect your bbs and hold your cycle but keep the bottom clean so you can have a good watch.

Sounds like they are all in the anterior intestine a favored place for these- Bandit is a very young fish and that see through white is often transitory. If he was bigger and older this may not have been caught as the white gets more opaque. That was a good thing.

Edit: Just read your update caitie...oh dear..he wont eat at all?

He won't eat! He doesn't even seem to see the food. I tried to crush it for him but nothing doing. He looks so bad compared to even 2 hours ago. Can it really go downhill so fast? If he makes it throught the next hour I will move him to a cup and try and gather all the gravel (at least most of it, it is a deep gravel bed) in a stocking. Then I'll do a 100% wc and put in his last dose of kanaplex and 0.1% salt. Is this alright?

Oh dear...let's hope he's just having a 'No I'm not getting up yet no matter how much breakfast you try to wave at me' moment...it is Monday morning after all...

Poor little guy cry3.gif

Oh Sarah I hope that is all it is but Bandit is about the biggest pig I ever saw. So small but he is always the first there when food hits the water. Actually when anything hits the top of the water he is there to taste it, good or bad.

Oh sweetie Im so sorry, this is so painful for you....have you got lots of splash there on the surface or at least a good strong bubble wand? Its at high stress times like this it helps the fish so much.

I actually would NOT move him to a cup yet. Too much stress right now would not be good.

Oh sweetie Im so sorry, this is so painful for you....have you got lots of splash there on the surface or at least a good strong bubble wand? Its at high stress times like this it helps the fish so much.

I actually would NOT move him to a cup yet. Too much stress right now would not be good.

I had to remove the bubble wand because he was literally being thrown about the tank but I can lower the water level so there is more of a splash at the top. So should I leave the gravel in the tank and just do daily vacumings and wc so that no nasties stay in the gravel. He doesn't stress out when I do the vacuming, he usually comes and plays with the tube. Silly boy.

I managed to make him eat about 1/2 a pellet, I had to crush it and soak it then i used a pipette to drop it right next to his mouth it took a long time but maybe if I'm really patient and I try to feed him every hour or so he might manage to eat a bit. I won't give up just yet! :)

If he pulls through this too I guess I'll owe everyone here a beer! :alc

I was thinking what you could do is VERY gently sweep the gravel into a heap in the corner, this is assuming the gravel is not going to raise too much gunk and is just a thin layer. Then maybe later on (two or more sessions creates less gas) sort of shuffle that into a stocking hose...tie with elastic band.....all done in the tank without having to remove Bandit and leaving a nice clean base- easy to wipe down .

However if you start to see gunk rise or cloudiness, then this is not probably a good option at all.

This gravel move could be done over several days actually as the meds will take some time to take effect. The worms should hopefully come out dead via his exit, if alive they will be lethargic and easy to remove from the tank (if you have good eyes).

At least he's eaten something...you've really shown a lot of patience and perserverance with him, he's in good hands and you've definitely shown yourself to be a very dedicated fish mum 00001649.gif . I'll be checking in every hour to see if he's had his 1/2 pellet!!!

Okay I'll give it a try when I do his water change I'll start piling the gravel to one side.

The worms should hopefully come out dead via his exit, if alive they will be lethargic and easy to remove from the tank (if you have good eyes).

I was afraid of that, that is so gross! I'm absolutely the worst chicken :scared when it comes to bugs of any kind. But I guess a turkey baster will do the job.

By the way he has managed to eat three crushed up pellets, so I am getting hopeful again! :)

One more thing it looks like the worms might have moved inside him is that normal? The pattern of the white ring isn't the same as last night.

At least he's eaten something...you've really shown a lot of patience and perserverance with him, he's in good hands and you've definitely shown yourself to be a very dedicated fish mum 00001649.gif . I'll be checking in every hour to see if he's had his 1/2 pellet!!!

I guess we were posting at the same time Sarah. :D He has eaten about three pellets now. But they have to be crushed and soaked. I think he just likes the attention. :heart