Bandit Might Be Dying

caitie

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. It could be. That white part of his body is exactly the right area if you could see through the fish...constipation is really NOT good for balance or fish with slight bouyancy issues. I think you should forget the Jungle, keep up the peas and variation -perhaps some krill, algae tabs etc- and just use kanaplex in the water alone. You can salt with kanamycin too. Keep that at 0.1%. Thats what I'd do.

Okay thanks Stephie and Imo. So tomorrow I'll pick up the Kanamycin, some krill and algae tabs. Keep the salt at 0.1%. Should I continue his prazi treatment with the antibiotics? I still have two treatments so it will be a month.

No I would take a break from prazi with waterborn antibiotics.

If he has flukes most of them will have been killed off -usually in the first few doses and the low salt will handicap the new emerging larvae so they shouldnt be a problem for the moment. Lets do the kanamycin treatment first and then see about more prazi later.

Just to keep this up to date. I picked up the Kanaplex today. I did a large wc, replaced the salt to 0.1% and added the Kanaplex. Today he had a meal of shrimp and another one of his gel food. His poop was normal which I take as a good sign. :) When I went in to turn off his light tonight he was back to floating at the top of the tank maybe he was :sleeping: but he swam over to see me and he was swimming pretty well. So I will update again if anything changes.

Well I've been feeding shrimp and peas today and we are back to white thin hairlike poop. :idont Should I do anything else or just wait and see? He seems to have more trouble controlling his swimming today. He gets thrown about with the current in the tank.

Is he looking any thinner? How is the tail regrowth?

Is he eating with gusto?

What day are you on with the kanaplex now?

Is he looking any thinner? How is the tail regrowth?

Is he eating with gusto?

What day are you on with the kanaplex now?

I don't think he looks thinner but I've included a pic. His tail seems to be regrowing fine, the picture doesn't show it though. DSCF4406.jpg

He is eating with alot of appetite. Actually because he keeps getting constipated I'm not sure exactly how much to feed him? I feel that since he is sick maybe he needs a bit more to eat so he gets stronger but then I'm afraid he'll get blocked up again?

I put in the first dose of Kanaplex yesterday so tomorrow I will put in the second dose. The bottle says you ca use only three doses.

How long does it take for him to wolf down all the food, hun? Normally, I give them only a few seconds to finish off their foods because a minute or longer, I feel rather horrified they look bloated. My goldfish eat like pigs normally do never stopping to polish everything off.

Bandit isn't noticeably thin to me.

How long does it take for him to wolf down all the food, hun?

Bandit isn't noticeably thin to me.

Well it takes him a few minutes but it isn't because of the amount. He has to work really hard to get to the food, He sees where it is but getting there is something else.

I guess I find him thin because I compare him to his before pictures, like in my avatar which was taken this fall. He was so much rounder there. But I guess with what he has been through recently he doesn't look too bad.

Edited by caitie

He looks good caitie. The black stub of the tail is good too. Healing sign. Its going to take a long time. It could take anywhere from 3 to about 6 weeks to grow back. Do the Kanaplez 3 times. The gelfood sounds better than the shrimp- feed him whatever makes his poop look normal -this will be what suits him best.

Good to hear Edith!

How big is he? He looks little to me...but I have monsters! :) lol

Sue made a good analogy on how much to feed. She said think about how big the fish's eye ball is. Consider that the size of their tummies. My little guys would get one pea in morning and one in evening...until they turned into monsters that is!

But if he is constipated...gel food and peas. Is your shrimp gel food? I was reading rather quickly. :heart

Good to hear Edith!

How big is he? He looks little to me...but I have monsters! :) lol

Sue made a good analogy on how much to feed. She said think about how big the fish's eye ball is. Consider that the size of their tummies. My little guys would get one pea in morning and one in evening...until they turned into monsters that is!

:heart

He is very little, under two inches and I've had him for more about 8 months. He eats like a pig but he doesn't grow. I got him and all of my previous goldfish (4 of themin all bought over the course of 3 yrs) from a small family owned pet store near my place. All of them were super tiny and none lived longer than a year, and they all stayed very small. They also all died with about the same problems Bandit has. They also developed some disease where they had pimples that erupted. I always thought I was doing something wrong but I bought Hercules (fantail) and Coquin (blackmoor) from another store and in less than 2 months they have really grown. So now I wonder if the store near my place is not the source of all the trouble Bandit is having. But I really hope we can save him. Sorry for the long post but sometimes it helps to clarify things in my mind to write about it. :)

But if he is constipated...gel food and peas. Is your shrimp gel food? I was reading rather quickly.

His gel food is: peas;squash;sardines;vitamin C and acidophilus. The shrimp was just a few pieces of cut up cooked shrimp, left over from dinner. He loved it but I don't think it was good for his constipation. :(

Today he had his gel food and his poop was back to normal so that is good. I'll do his Wc tonight and add his 2nd dose of Kanaplex.

Thanks for asking about Bandit Stephie. :heart

Long post??? Have you seen some of the posts on here? Type to your hearts desire! :)

If the gel food makes him less constipated I would stick with that for a bit.

Hopefully these meds will work. Keeping fins crossed! :heart

Hang in there! Bandit is obviously a fighter.

DSCF4406-1.jpg

Okay I'm hoping this is nothing but tonight I noticed that Bandit has what appears to be a white ring under his skin. I know you can't see it very well in the pic (I've been trying to get a good shot for the last 2 hours) My brother was visiting tonight and he looked at it and thought it sort of looked like a worm under his skin. :yikes Is that even possible? The reason I mention it is that it wasn't there yesterday. It is the last thing poor Bandit needs. :please tell me it's nothing.

I cannot see a worm caitie :unsure: The only way you could see a worm I think would be coming out of a lump or possibly if you had good eyes through an extremely opaque white area of thin dermal layer????

Okay, it doesn't really show up in the photo but I also think it can't be a worm because now he has more white showing through his flesh. It is now on both sides of his body. :( It is really weird you only see it through the white part of his body and some of it looks like it could be small lumps. And now he has alot more trouble swimming he struggles all the time and if he gets too close to the filter intake he gets stuck but by struggling he can still remove himself. And he flips over on to his back as soon a he stops swimming. He looks really bad. I don't know if it is the Kanaplex or something else? :idont He is due to have a wc and his 3rd dose tonight.

Edited by caitie

I think I can see the worm you mean. I squinted a bit and thought maybe I got what you mean. Things like this...It would be easier to diagnosis Bandit in person.

thanks Lupin. I know it is there even if it doesn't show up on my pics because I've had other people point it out to me yesterday. They could see it. But now it is so much more spread and it also looks like there is some red forming around the white parts. It is so bizarre and frustrating. And now that he has flipped over I don't know what to do to help him.

wow Lupin you must have great eyes, I honestly cannot see a worm. If you think you can see worms inside him caitie hun you should feed a course of Jungle antiparasite food! You need also to watch and see if you can see any worms at his butt end. The small lumps sound a bit suspicious must say...are they all in one area or spread out all over his bod?

No they are only around the white part of his body which I imagine is his butt. He still has normal poop. If I do feed the anti parasite food should I do the last dose of Kanaplex? And would these 'worms' or whatever it is inside him cause him to flip over? I swear I feel so bad for this poor fish, he's been through so much these last two months. Everyone who sees him is telling me I should put him out of his misery and I keep thinking if he's fighting so hard to live who am I to make that decision?

I blew up the pic a bit. There definitely are about 2-3 "worms" I can find just around the abdominal area. Large worms on a small fish? Interesting.

Edit: The poop on the pic doesn't seem normal. I suspected worm on that hence I counted 2-3. The other one is near the gill area but still at the abdominal area. It's either a "worm" or I am mistaking it for another thing. I made sure I did not overlook some things that I might be suspecting.

Edited by Lupin

I agree with you!! He is such a little trouper, dont give up on him. Worms would explain a lot! And are soooo hard to diagnose..if you have seen them and small nodules/cysts in the butt area may well mean that he has some internal worms- then you should get some anti parasite food into him. It is fine to use with the last day of Kanaplex.

Lupin that is amazing. Large worms? Can you see if they have a segmented middles?They are in the anterior intestine yes?