Sign in to follow this  
caitie

Bandit Might Be Dying

Now he just needs to grow that tail back! At least he's eating, certainly looks like he's having a good dig!

What a strong little fighter...he looks much better!

I know, he's like the Duracell bunny, he never stops going. :D

Now he just needs to grow that tail back! At least he's eating, certainly looks like he's having a good dig!

I hope his tail will be like before but I'll love him no matter what. :) As for the food I wish I could have made a video of his reaction when the gel food hit the water. It was like "Finally real food :Scoff: " :rofl

Aw~he is going to make it!! biggrin.gif

He's such a cutie. Yep no need for any more meds if what you did use worked. Just good food, good water and the tail will grow back. I had a fish lose his tail and it took about a month I seem to remember to grow back.

Thanks for asking Sarah. He is doing good, maybe I'm just hopeful but I think his tail is starting to grow. But he has gone back to floating after eating, that has always been a problem for him no matter what I feed him.

hmmmmm....

So sorry Edith I wasn't here to help! However it looks like you had tons of support! :)

how long exactly been off meds? What exactly was in tank and levels when things got better? What did you change? Anything? What are they now?

Deductions! Any recent weather changes?

I know I am the questionairre...sorry!

Like Imo said, tail should grow back....but lets get this fishy healthy k! :heart

So sorry Edith I wasn't here to help!

I'm just so glad you're feeling better. :heart

how long exactly been off meds?

He has been off the jungle antibacterial food since Dec. 15th.

What exactly was in tank and levels when things got better? What did you change? Anything? What are they now?

The jungle food really helped until he got constipated. Then he got homemade gel food with acidophilus and vitamin C. Since Dec. 16th the salt is at 0.2% and the prazi treatments are done as follows:

Day 1 water change and prazi

days 2 and 3 nothing

day 4 wc and prazi

day 5 and 6 nothing

Day 7 wc and prazi and so on until one month is up.

Nothing has changed in the qt tank: Ammo 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrates below 5 Ph 8.0 Temp 76 These stats have been staple through all of this.

Any recent weather changes?

We had a big snow storm last week but the temp in the house never changed.

I just wish he wouldn't float all the time. He's been doing since I first got him. I've tried all sorts of different gel food recipes and he will still float. :wall

He has a bit of white on his tail and I'm wondering if this is normal since it is growing back.I am trying to get a good picture of him to show you but he refuses to cooperate and I'm not good with a camera. I'll try to get a picture by tomorrow.

Thanks for helping Stephie, I missed your questionnaires, they keep me on my feet. :D

Okay finally managed to grab a picture or two where you can see him they are still a bit blurry But the best I can do in the qt tank. The light is very bad in that room. Now apart from his tail all other fins a growing nicely. His dorsal fin has always had a problem, it falls over halfway up. Like in the 2nd picture. In my avatar he has it fully spread but that was when he was smaller.

DSCF4221.jpg

DSCF4222.jpg

Does that look like normal tail growth considering all he has gone through?

I think so. I think this was so bad it will take quite some time to regrow. Feed him up. Keep his water good. It will grow again smile.gif

He is definitely going to be one of those fish you can look at 2 years down the line and go 'I did that', you should be so proud of yourself for pulling him through, and he really does look like he has pulled through. Hopefully he'll grow out into a big beauty having completely forgotten this experience and people won't believe you when you say his tail was once in tatters.

:hi Just wanted to give you a quick update on Bandit's recovery. He is still doing great and progressing very nicely, :) unfortunately he still has a tendancy to go tail up head down as soon as he stops swimming. But he is not floating as much as before. Here are two pics to show how well his tail is healing.

DSCF4299.jpg

DSCF4294.jpg

Thanks everyone, he wouldn't be here today without all your help and encouraging words. :flowers:heart

I have one more question to ask. Just did his wc and redosed the Prazi and salt. He has been at 0.2% since the beginning of December should I now lower the dose or keep him there until his tail regrows completely?

I think its long enough at that strength. I would do one more week at 0.1% and then phase it out.

Well done. I'm so glad he is still doing fine.:heart

I agree with Imo. I'm impressed Bandit is doing well so far.:)

Okay I think we are having a set back with Bandit. :krazy: Yesterday he was not swimming as much as usual. He would hide behind a decoration head down in the gravel and stay like that for hours. He did swim out if I stopped by the tank and he did eat his gel food. Last night I was examining him and I noticed what looks like bruises on his side and something like a black mark. It is not on him but rather inside him. I see the black smudge through his body. I included a very bad pic where you see the black but it doesn't show up the slight bruising. The reddish bruises show up on the white part of his body.

DSCF4373.jpg

By the way his stats are as follows:

Ammo: 0 Nitrites: 0 Nitrates below 5 Ph 8.0 Temp 76 Salt at 0.1% will be removed this week and Prazi for another week at least. I did a 50% wc last night and redosed the salt and prazi.

Edited by caitie

He has spent all day hiding behind a plant head down in the gravel. He will swim out to eat. I'm worried about him considering how quickly whatever he had before got out of hand. The bruising doesn't seem any worse but the black smudge looks a bit bigger. Unfortunately I can't get a decent picture of it.

Im sorry caitie. Can you just run through the meds we have tried. I know you have the low salt and prazi going. Did you ever try the Jungle antibac food and kanamycin in his water?

He has had The Jungle antibac food for ten days and it went well but it caused him to get constipated. I never tried the kanamycin because he started doing so much better. I can pick some up tomorrow if you think that might help. Thanks so much for your help Imo. :)

No problem. Kanaplex in the water should really help. Can you get some? Its by Seachem.

The bruising you can see is internal and its bleeding but dont worry this is actually a very common reaction to bacteria and illness in fish and it is not a death sentence at all.

Okay. Thats reassuring. I will get the kanamycin tomorrow. Will that be sufficient or should he get another round of Jungle antibac food at the same time?

Hmm. They are compatible. You said it made him constipated? Did you see direct improvement during the course?

It took about three or four days on the antibac food before he started to get better, but I assume that is what helped him in the beginning of December although at the same time I had started the prazi and the salt. It gets confusing to know what actually helped him. :blink: I don't know if this can help or not but he isn't floating anymore although when he rest he has his head down. And his poop is not white or stringy but food colored.

Yes it helps. The poop is a very good sign. The head down may be connected to not having a tail, fish need them :( Kanamycin is a little harsh on the kidneys, not recommended for upside down fish or serious balance issues. What do you think? Is he swimming okay when he does? Not lopsided?

Geesh....I am sorry you are having so many issue with poor bandit! I think Imo is on to something there (like she always is :) )

Is he unbalance because of missing fins and a bit wobbly or floaty?

:heart

I am sure you will get it sorta! I have faith in all of you! :)

Yes it helps. The poop is a very good sign. The head down may be connected to not having a tail, fish need them :( Kanamycin is a little harsh on the kidneys, not recommended for upside down fish or serious balance issues. What do you think? Is he swimming okay when he does? Not lopsided?

He is slightly lopsided, not much but you see he isn't swimming quite normally. One thing I forgot to mention. He was fed peas yesterday and the day before (constipation as usual) and at some point we noticed that he got very swollen and the white part of his body(his butt I guess :D ) had a bright greenish tint to it. But once he had passed his poop everything was normal except that in the morning I noticed the slight bruising.