Bandit Might Be Dying

caitie

Thanks Kukana. :) I wanted to give a quick update on Bandit. He is still swimming well. The redness is going down and it seems as if the finrot is not progressing any more. Whew! He still needs to have his food crushed he can't eat the whole pellets. But now he has started to float again. He swims around but as soon as he stops he floats to the top and he has trouble going down to the bottom. I wonder if that is because of the antibac food? When he has gel food he doesn't float. But all in all he seems to be getting better. :)

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am wondering if the prazi, salt 0.03% and jungle antibac food are enough? He looks better and he swims around more. I still have to crush the pellets for him to be able to eat, but at least he is eating. The finrot seems to have stopped but now he is floating and he has to fight his way down to get near the gravel. There a re still one or two red streaks in what's left of his tail. Trinket mentioned using an antibiotic in the water,kanamycin. Should I start using that. I should receive it in the next day or two. And If I do use it do I continue the antibac food, salt and the prazi? I will be doing the 3rd Prazi treatment tonight. I was planning on treating with prazi for a month.

Here is a pic of Bandit taken tonight:

DSCF3892.jpg

Okay I think I need help again. As I mentioned yesterday Bandit looks better but he is now floating, today he won't eat the antibac food he isn't interested. Once in a while he'll grab a pellet and spit it right out. He also looks a little bloated and I haven't seen him poop since yesterday except for a thread like poop yesterday morning. Could he now be constipated and if so what do I do? Can I stop the antibac food , it has only been 6 days, and feed him peas? He was doing sooo much better these last few days I don't want to make a mistake. Any ideas will be appreciated! :)

Hi Caitie,Sorry you haven't gotten any response here :oops: I don't know b/c I don't have experience w/ this food,but I did look it up,and it said for 5-10 days-which I'm sure you've read also. The only thing I feel safe recommending is-why don't you start a new thread titled something like 'I need help w/ anti back food',or 'Please help w ......." and maybe it will get someones attention.It seems like it should be simple enough to answer for someone who does know :heart

I'd switch the foods to high fiber (and include acidophilus in his diet) temporarily or fast him for at least 3 days. The Lactobacillus acidophilus is a probiotic that inhibits gas-causing bacteria lining their digestive system. Once he recovers, I'd just limit his antibacterial foods by half the usual once he recovers a bit.

Thanks to you both for replying. :) I was under the impression he had to use the antibacterial food for 10-14 days. But if it's not important than I'll fast him for three days and then feed peas and the antibacterial food again. I was worried about stopping because his tail still has some red streaks in it and since he doesn't have much of it left,if the rot comes back it will be attacking the flesh. :(

Do you have access to Vitachem? I know this may seem too much but it's either that or we find something else to include Vitamin C for Bandit to boost his immune system. If he can't eat gel food reserves with sodium ascorbate added, our only option is soak foods in Vitachem for him to ingest Vit C. The Vit C may be something else to keep infections at bay along with clean water and salt.

The problem with the antibacterial pellets is if prolonged despite the seemingly evident constipation, this might cause Bandit's health to collapse. I just have a gut feeling this will happen. Constipation is not good for the fish long-term so we can't force Bandit to take another pellet until his tummy expels them.

Edit: Do you have any antibiotics to dose in substitute to the food while we keep the food out for now? Kanamycin?

Edited by Lupin

Do you have access to Vitachem?

Unfortunately no.

If he can't eat gel food reserves with sodium ascorbate added

I usually make his gel food. I can cerainly make up a special batch for him tomorrow. Usually I use baby food peas; squash; and 1/2 can of sardines. I can add 1 tablet of Lactobacillus acidophilus and maybe some crushed vitamin C. (Is there a special dosage) Would that do?

Do you have any antibiotics to dose in substitute to the food while we keep the food out for now? Kanamycin?

I'm hoping to receive some Kanamycin tuesday or wednesday.

Do you think the salt at 0.3% is too high? I just wondered if it might make him bloat a little bit since he's constipated?

I really appreciate the time your taking to help me and Bandit. :heart

I think a capsule of Vit C is usually 250mg. I'd put a capsule of it on the gel food. You may give a portion to your other fish to help with their own immune system as well!

No, I don't think it's the salt. I had observed my Siamese doll, Cash gotten a little constipated because one day, his metabolism slowed down a bit from temperature dip and I was caught unaware by it. He looked unusually fat more than usual that I fasted him for a day and I was irritated at the sight of him looking like a balloon. It wasn't the salt and he remains very happy with my steady salt solution while under quarantine.

Hang in caitie. The lactobacter sounds like a good idea (probiotics Lupin mentioned).

Kanamycin can be used in the water (and with salt) and is very good for peduncle disease.

The Jungle food course should be fed for exactly the duration it says on the pack. No more because antibiotics should work within 3 days if they are going to and if they are the appropriate antibiotic for the specific bacteria.

Overused (when they are not working) means the fish gets weaker.

Edit: I do think the salt could be reduced a little. 0.2% is enough I feel and with the kanamycin in the water maybe 0.1%.

Thanks Trinket. Hopefully he'll continue getting better. He has always had trouble with constipation anytime he eats commercial food. Even the gel food can make him float sometimes. But I'll give it a try and hope the antibiotic gets here quickly.

I have one more question, once I get the Kanaplex can I continue the prazipro? Sorry I seem to have so many questions but I would hate to harm him while trying to save him.

:) Thanks Sarah. This morning I was encouraged a bit he wiggled to the front of the tank when i walked up to it. :D It takes so little to make or break our day, doesn't?

I have one more question, once I get the Kanaplex can I continue the prazipro? Sorry I seem to have so many questions but I would hate to harm him while trying to save him.

Yes, you can, Edith.

smile.gif Thanks Sarah. This morning I was encouraged a bit he wiggled to the front of the tank when i walked up to it. biggrin.gif It takes so little to make or break our day, doesn't?

I know EXACTLY what you mean. Seeing my tank will either make me want to dance round the kitchen or hit my head repeatedly on the breakfast bar. doh11.gif Stick with him Edith, he sounds like a strong little fishie :)

:) Bandit seems much better today. He did some massive pooping after his one day fast and he ate with alot of appetite his new gel food. I just found out I won't be receiving the the Kanamycin until Friday at least! :( But I wonder if it is really necessary after all. The tail rot is completely stopped. His dorsal fin is up all the time. And all the red is gone from his tail. The only thing is that he is still floaty, but he was always a floaty fish. I wonder if the prazi and salt at 0.2% would be enough or should I start the antibiotic when I receive them?

But he sure looks better. I'll try to post a picture later today just to show the difference. :)

Did the gel food include acidophilus, hun? That probiotic should hopefully tone down his floaty issues. What does his new gel food consist?

I am impressed Bandit has improved a lot. Perseverance pays off a lot. I don't think you might need kanamycin if he keeps improving but don't get your guard off. Keep it aside for now once it arrives and use it if there is a hint his health might collapse again which hopefully will not happen. Then keep the salt and prazi in there for now until he recovers completely. Fingers crossed Bandit will steadily improved.

DSCF4051.jpg

The picture is not too clear because he won't stop moving and I'm not good with a camera, but he really looks better and as you can see his appetite is great. ;)

Did the gel food include acidophilus, hun? What does his new gel food consist?

3 small baby jars: 2 peas and 1 squash, 1/2 can sardines, 1/2 cup water, 2 envelopes Knox gelatin, 250mg Vitamin C and 1 capsule acidophilus.

Yay for Bandit! He's one tough fishie with one tough mummy!

Thanks so much Sarah for taking the time to encourage me even though you were going through such a hard time with your own fish. :flowers

Hopefully he will continue getting better. I want to thank everyone for their help especially you Lupin and Trinket. And also everyone who has given me encouraging words and good thoughts to Bandit :heart

This caught me by surprise.

Me too! I was sure he was a goner. I was ready to put him out of his misery. :wacko:

OMG Caitie,Bandit looks like a different fish I'm so happy for you both

Thanks Kukana :) It's so nice to see him wiggle again. :goldfish: