Ghost Shrimp As Tankmates

stama

Hi,

Would any ghost shrimp survive in a 46 gallon tank with 4 gold fish (3 at 5", and 1 at 6")? Sometimes I think they're blind. If there's is enough cover, will the shrimp make it? Or would it definitely be a treat to them?

thanks

P.S. I want to buy some compatible tank mates for my goldfish. I'll be upgrading the tank to 75 gallons soon, I've a 110 gallon bio-Aquafilter.

I'm returning 2 crayfish to the store b/c they're too violent for the fish (they end up with nicks on their fins/body in the am).

Edited by stama

That is what i am considering myself. The gold dojo loach seem very interesting. But i haven't gotten to see one yet. As far as the shrimp go i think you are supposed to be able to keep them with goldfish. But i was supposed to be able to keep nerite snails with them too. Worked great for a while, they really went to town on that ugly red algae. Until...MUNCH. One snail gone. So i had to yank the rest out. I would think if it fits in the goldies mouth they will eat it if they can catch it.That is just my guess, i haven't had shrimp but i had been considering them myself.

Yep generally if it fits in their mouth, they will eat it :) I've put small snails in my tank in the past as a treat for them. I have an Ivory Mystery snail and they haven't eaten it because it's too big. However, I've heard that they will pick at its antennae. Mine is smart and scoots around with his antennae tucked under his shell :) hehe

None of my goldfish picked on the apple snails and nerite snails. Dojo loaches are compatible, yep. About the best loach you can get for your goldfish.

I agree with Hidr. Ghost shrimps will end up terribly munched.