Sign in to follow this  
clweddell

What Do You Feed

Just wondering what everyone feeds~I am looking at foods and different types, etc. Give me some ideas beyond the basics.

I feed Omega One sinking pellets, peas, oranges, pretty much any fruit or veggie they can eat, and I occasionally make gel food.

I feed my fish Pro-Gold, bananas, carrots, lettuce, and I'd like to add peas to their diet. about 70% of their diet is the Pro-Gold. I give them other kinds of food a few days out of the week. OH! I also save feeding the banana for when I am going to do a water change, because it gets really messy.

Edited by brandon

Hikari Lionhead

Mazuri 5M70 Gel Foods

Bloodworms

Shrimps

Aquarium plants

Occasional snails

Shrimp pellets

Homemade gel foods-made of various vegetables, acidophilus, calcium, multivitamins, sardines/tuna/mackerel

Calcium is added for good bone development and well balanced osmoregulation. Vitamin C can be added to boost your fish's immune system.

I use New Life Spectrum Goldfish Formula. The fish adore it and I've never yet had any digestion problems (knock on wood!). I'd heard about NLS and thought I'd try it out, and so far so good! The pellets sink which is a big selling point too.

Bananas? Really? I would think they would make them constipated like they do in humans. :unsure: I feed my goldies Progold, peas and they also eat algae wafers that they steal from the r.n. pleco.

My tank goldies get sinking pellets, Saki-Hikari right now, plus veggies like peas, seaweed, etc. I vary that with homemade gel food. I have a permenantly floating oranda who seems to do best on very tiny amounts of food several times a day.

My pond goldies nibble algae all day long plus whatever else they can find like snails or bugs. Every once and a while I will throw in some pellets, but not now that the pond is below 50 degrees F.

These are great, I am going to have to start expanding the menu---great, another thing to obsess over! :yeah:

I would think they would make them constipated like they do in humans.

It's a myth that bananas make people constipated.

Bananas increase stamina! ;D advice from someone who loves to run, a banana a day will help you run longer eventually. I feed my boys Omega one small sinking pellets, which I presoak before feeding. They like to forage for the ones they missed during the day.

I feed:

Hikari Gold in the morning(I know it's floating, didn't know it until I bought it though, was thinking to get Saki Hikari but the smallest size they have is 7 oz, and with two small goldfish I think most of it would end up being thrown out)

Gel food in the evening (right now it is bananas, peas, carrots, and tuna, first batch I've ever made so I didn't want to put too much in and fail)

Peas and other veggies

Oranges (on water change day)

Other fruits like bananas, peaches, melon...

The Hikari Gold and the Gel food are the staple, peas are once a week for both meals, all other foods on the rare occasion they're in my house...

Edited by Aiyklen

I typically do homemade vegetable-based gel food in the morning (usually green beans or carrots or peas or spinach or mixed veggies, with some frozen daphnia for flavor), and a protein in the evening.

Proteins I use regularly (frozen, thawed before serving) are:

Mysis shrimp (my personal favorite)

Bloodworms

Brine shrimp

Beefheart

They weren't crazy about krill, and the daphnia is too tiny to feed anywhere but in gel food.

I have a couple of floaty fish who can't have any kind of pellet or processed food. But the ones who can love Pro-Gold and Saki-Hikari, and I find those so convenient to feed when I'm in a hurry.

I use Saki-Hikari as my staple, that's mostly what they get with the occasional cucumber and sweetcorn, whatever veg I have in really. One things mine love is Sera spirulina tabs, you can stick them to the glass too and watch the fish eat without their bottoms in the air! My Tigger loved them :heart

Hikari Lionhead

Gel food (made with babyfood veggies and tuna/salmon or mackerel,vitamins,acidophilus)

Bloodworms

Imitation Crab with shrimp

Occasional fruits and veggies (they loved watermelon)

Gel food with various vegetables and vitamins, and occasionally daphnia, bloodworms, dry shrimps. Sometimes pellets with spirulina or Tetra crisps, but rarely.

I feed Omega One because it's made with whole fish and fresh veggies.

Our goldies get fed on a variety of the following:

veggie gel food, tuna gel food, fruit gel food, pro gold pellets and hikari pellets (which we soak for about 10-20 mins), broccoli, peas, cucumber, romaine lettuce, organic oranges and once every so often get bloodworms and algae wafers.

I'm a big Hikari fan, so I feed Hikari Lionhead and Saki-Hikar (purple bag), and HBH Algae Grazers (primary ingredient is spirulina, smelsl great!) with de-shelled peas on the weekends.

I'll give them fruits infrequently, mainly high protein foods though since my fish are young.

I have decided that it has to be natural food all the way. i have spent a bucket load of cash on various different and highly recommended pellets and they just cause problems. Whether it be pro gold of one of the various different types of hikari pellets, they cause floatiness in one or more of my fish every single time i feed them now. In my opinion ditch your pellets and go for natural food. I use a wide variety of fruit and vegetables plus tuna, shrimp and crab meat in gel food. Did i mention that pellets are bad ! That may well just be my fish but wild fish have been thriving for thousands of years on what they can find in their surroundings. Pellet manufacturers are getting rich on a product that i don't think that we really need. If however, you are going to buy prepared food i don't think you can go far wrong with tetra fresh delica sachets, they come in bloodworm, brineshrimp and daphnia and my fish love them. Pellets bad Pellets bad Pellets bad Pellets bad, just my two cents lol :)

I feed my fishys TetraFin mainly (used to be Hikari, I need to switch them back)

Frozen bloodworms

Frozen brine shrimp

Gel food which has:

Baby food peas, carrots, squash, bananas, apples, sweet potatoes

frozen spinach and sometimes tuna :)

I would give gel food a try ;) It's good stuff.