My Betta Has Been Sick For 2 Weeks

Anielynn

Okay. To be honest i believe the reason this started was from feeding dry pellets. That is just my guess. Because that is what i feed him pretty much. But he has been totally fine. He sits on my computer desk and we play with him all the time. Then one morning BOOM. Overnight swollen and floating at the top of the tank.

So i started out fasted for two days. No change. So i fed the smallest bite of pea. No change. Fast again for a day. I fed him daphnia. Supposed to be a laxative for bettas. Nothing. Possibly worse. So i fasted for a few days. No change.I added epsom to his water. I can't find the dosage i used but it was a very small amout. The next day he went poo. Peas for a couple of days with no change, still bloated.More fasting. This betta is literally starving. But staying swollen. So i added a grain of epsom to his pea. The next day his swelling started going down. I add been ready for this to be over if you know what i mean. This is my favorite betta. So for the last 3 days he has done so much better. Swimming in the middle of the tank with no problem. Playing again. Eating a smidge of pea everyday. No swelling. This morning... BOOM!! Swollen again and floating at the top. I gave him another smidge of pea with epsom. He looks so miserable.

DSCN5379.JPG

DSCN5382.JPG

DSCN5389.JPG

DSCN5391.JPG

He is in a cycled 2 1/2 gallon. 0 ammonia,0 nitrite, didn't check nitrate. 7.6ph. I just did a water change. I have been sloshing the gravel and dumping all the water. Then adding fresh dechlorinated. It has seemed the easiest way on such a small tank. And the ammonia is staying down.I removed the gravel this time where i can see if he poos.Help.

• Admin

I can see that this fish is an Older adult hun. Betta's live for up to 4 years, so depending on how long this fish was at the breeders and store who knows how old he is.

Ok that a side, the other thing I can see in that last pic is the onside of constipation and a little bit of dropsy's coming. i would do the heater and Epsom salt with him, Maracyn2 if you can. hun

Ill check back with you in a bit.... Got to go baby sit today :(

Thank you i have his heat at 80 now. How much epsom would i add to 2 gallons. And is it fine to do it now since i just gave him one grain to eat already? I will pick up the meds as quick as i can.

I have never used anything but aquarium salt according to the directions. Maybe us those same directions? 1 tablespoon per gallon but add it slowely like every few hours.

Try fasting him for more than just one day, give him a mirror to try and flare at (it help them poo). Is he pineconed? I cant quite tell fro the pictures but I would assume just by the sheer size of his stomach area he either is or is very close. After he pinecones I'd start him on Maracyn 2 but drospy is harder to come back from in betta than other fish species and is more often fatal.

I did have him in aquarium salt before. I use it at a smaller dose for preventative measures. I took it out when i used a little epsom in his water the first time. I have been flaring him today and he has went poo already once. HUGE.

I did have him in aquarium salt before. I use it at a smaller dose for preventative measures. I took it out when i used a little epsom in his water the first time. I have been flaring him today and he has went poo already once. HUGE.

I swear flaring will work wonders, Ive got through severe constipationwith it. If he's bloating from pellets I'd suggest crushing them :]

No he hasn't had a pellet for over two weeks. Just a lot of starving and very small bites of pea. He was fine last night at bedtime and today swollen up.

I had a crowntail that always bloated up, too. I used epsom salt with him and didn't feed him for a while and it went down. I read somewhere that it happens a lot with younger bettas.

I had a crowntail that always bloated up, too. I used epsom salt with him and didn't feed him for a while and it went down. I read somewhere that it happens a lot with younger bettas.

It's normal for them to look "full" but when they bloat it means you're overfeeding or that they aren't getting enough activity or variety in their diet. Giving mirror time or exposure to seeing another fish for ten or fifteen minutes a day keeps away bloat quite well and gives them mental and physical exercise. :]

I just don't know. He poohed yesterday a couple of times. And had lots of mirror time. And his bloat his worse today than yesterday. I added the epsom today. I will fast him until i get the bloat down and then feed no more peas. Hopefully too many peas might have aggravated his tummy after i got the bloat down last time. He is too bloated today to flare.

I have been seeing everyone talk about the osmo regulatory something or other system. Lol. That doesn't work right if you have low kh/gh. And it causing dropsey for the goldies. Well i am wondering if that could be the deeper cause of all of my betta issues. Because i have had terrible luck.

It wasn't that I fed him too much. I dont think I fed him enough because he would bloat; I'd use smaller portions. And it was always after a water change. I never knew what was wrong with him. I didn't have him very long. :(

I didn't think so but he could be. I have epsom in the water and the temp up. The lights are out and i am trying to not disturb him too much. He has himself tucked into a flower pot where he won't float. I will check in a little while.

I'm so sorry to hear this! Your betta is beautiful and it's hard to see him that way. :ill I feed my betta pellets but only 1-3 a day and fast him every few days too so hopefully he'll be ok. I had another betta that couldn't eat anymore even though he tried. Finally he just sat on the bottom and it took almost a month before he passed--so I don't think your guy is starving just yet, poor thing! Hope he gets better for you.