Are These Tubercles?

Sakura

I got a big surprise after a water change this afternoon, one of my fish (Mandarin) was chasing another (Sophie). I don't have any experience with spawning behavior, but that's sure what it looked like to me. These fish are only about an inch and a half long though, is this normal? I suppose it could be, since I don't know how old they are.

Here's Sophie. She's been this chubby ever since I got her about three weeks ago. I'm not sure why, but I just kind of thought it was genetics? Or maybe she's ready to spawn? I have no idea. She acts normal, so I don't think she's ill at least. Her fins are still regrowing from being shredded by a beta. (They kept her with one at the pet store) :(

Sophieresized.jpg

Here's a video of the behavior: This is spawning behavior, right?

Spawning behavior?

Right away when I saw this I looked for tubercles on Mandarin, and sure enough I saw about 4 tiny white dots. They're really easy to miss, and he only has them on one side. These are tubercles right? I added arrows showing where they are.

Tuberclesflash.jpg

Tubercles.jpg

I guess I just thought this was cool, so I'd share it. I'm also still a little confused as to why there are doing this when it seems like they are so young. Maybe they're not as young as I thought!

Edited by Sakura

They sounded so young to spawn but it's possible. It sounds odd that only one side has the tubercles and tubercles look vaguely similar to ich. Maybe wait for a few more days for further developments and watch Sophie carefully. It sounds like spawning behavior to me.:)

It is strange that they are only on ONE side... But they def could be!!!! I am not that experienced with them. I have only ever seen them in person on one fish.... I agree, keep watch.. and hope its just breeding stars! I was soooo excited when I found them the first time! It's fun isn't it?

And as for the young aspect.. its tricky when u get fish from pet shops. So often the fish appear small so we assume they are young, when in fact they be just be stunted from not being kept in the best conditions!! It's possible that u have a fish that is very small, but a lot older than u would think!!!

Thats spawning behavior in the vid most definitely yes. However it looks to me like Sophie may be a boy too with the white spots round her eyes. Sometimes mistakes are made when a male fish has a round belly, other males mistake them for gravid females.

You bring up a good point Trinket. I've noticed that before too, but Sophie is a crown pearlscale (and kind of an atypical one I think) so I think that's just part of her wen area. Seen in person the white areas on her cheek are more like bumpy flesh, but the photo does make them look more like spots or something, doesn't it?

If she does turn out to be a boy though, I'm certainly going to have to change that name! lol Can't have a boy named Sophie :D