Chrissy_Bee

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 5

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? pH 7.1

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? pH 6.9

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

[*]Water temperature? 18 Ceclus (about 63 F)

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallons, two years

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? two aqaclear 110's

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 25-50% a week

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 goldies (3-7 inches), 1 snail

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, buff it up

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? hikari lionhead, gel food and veggies/fruits. Lately only feeding once a day or every other day.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? only on George, some milky whiteness on body and now possible fin rot. Also lethargy and the occasional bit of floating.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? see above

Ok everyone, this is a true emergency because I am leaving for 2 weeks tomorrow. I noticed the issues this morning and THANKFULLY my flight was cancelled today, so I have an extra day at home. Here's the story. About a week ago I posted that George had either fungus or a thickened slime coat. I had intended on QTing him but I realized he'd been resting on a silk plant and that seemed to be rubbing him and causing the problem. So I moved the plant and it cleared up.

But yesterday I did a very big water change and noticed it is coming back. On his sides he doesn't have his usual black velvety appearance, it looks like some of his scales are almost outlined in white (slime coat maybe, it doesn't look like fungus). That was bad enough, but then I saw a problem on his tail. The tip of one of his fins looks as if a small bit has been taken out of it, and there is a red, sore looking spot on the edge of the wound. Also, I noticed this morning that he had white, empty looking poop (a 'cast').

He has been a little floaty and lethargic lately, but he has always been a little less active than my other fish. I just attributed it to his awkwardness when it comes to swimming. But now I'm really thinking there may be another issue, like bacteria. When I cleaned the filters yesterday they were really, really gunky. I'm not sure why, the fish have been fed less than usual lately, but maybe some of the plants have been losing more leaves than usual or something. Either way, not good if I had a weakened fish, it means a lot more bacteria than usual.

So now I need to treat him, but keep it relatively simple because I won't be here to care for him. The two options are to QT him in a rubbermaid, I have more than enough media to transfer to a filter and there shouldn't be an issue with cycling...but that is still scary given the fact that I won't be here. The other option is to salt the entire tank and just remove my snail into a 5 gallon QT tank. I also have melafix. I'm trying to think of what I could do that wouldn't harm my cycle or healthy fish. But if it would be better to remove George, my BIL has experience with fish and could potentially check on him every few days, but that would be asking a lot.

Any advice would be great, this is a stressful snag right before my trip!

edit: I also meant to mention, since I've moved and the tank is downstairs, the water is really cold. At least 5 degrees lower than it was at my old place. I'm wondering if that affected George. I was thinking of picking up a heater today to raise it a little.

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

I'm really sorry that George decided to do funky stuff right before your trip. I know you're going to worry about him a lot. sad.gif

I don't have anything of substance to offer, except that I think your idea to get a heater is a good one. Over the years, I've found that having a heater to keep temps stable has really helped the overall health of my goldfish. I had many more problems before I used one. I also think my fish are much more active and generally seem happier in warmer water. I keep mine at 76-77 degrees F.

Grrr I hate when there are problems when you won't be there..

Hmmm. It seems like a lot of work, but I think I would do the Qt plan and use some media from the tank.

My first thought was to agree with the "just salt the tank" plan.. BUT... what if after a couple of days things get worse and he needs some medication? It would be more of a pain for someone else to set up the QT tank.

It's so hard to tell what is going on.. but if it were ME this is what I would do. Set up the QT and tranfer the media. Get some prime and have someone add it every day or every other day because it will remove any extra ammonia/nitrites that could be in the tank if there were a small bump.

I would salt the QT tank to 0.1%.

Then I would buy SOME sort of medicated food and leave it accessbible. Even if u don't have Metromeds or Medigold on hand, I would go out and get some Jungle Anti Bac pellets and leave them JUST in case. This way, if u get a call and says George is getting worse. Bottom sitting, etc.. You have SOMETHING on hand to try..

Get well GEORGE! Have a safe trip Chrissy!

Thanks both of you :)

I bought a heater today, yet to put it in the tank. I think what I'll do is set up my 5 gallon tank for the snail and take him out, then salt the main tank. But I'm also going to set up a QT tank and leave it going. I'll get my BIL to check on him in a few days and email me, if I think he needs to go in QT with more drastic treatment I'll have him do it. Between him, Jim and my sister, I think I can manage his care from afar...I just hope it doesn't turn out to be something bad/aggressive :unsure:

I don't know if I'll find medicated food anywhere in town though. I had some medigold that was old and I threw out during my move...d'oh!

But I'll check tomorrow before I fly out just to be sure, maybe they do sell something at the smaller lfs where they have some pond equipment and specaility items.

You can pretty much get Jungle Anti Bacteria pellets at all the pet smarts and pet co's so u at least have a chance at that....

Also, I do have some MM's that I opened very recently.... Medi-Gold too I think. If things become an emergency u can always text me and I can mail them out. You should have my cell number in the mods forum addresses section..

Edited by CountryLovah

Awww thanks Sue :)

I put the heater in last night but only set it to raise the temp a degree or two. It may be my imagination, but the fish seem more active and like their old selves already. I'm flying out this afternoon so I'll be setting up the back up QT tank today and getting the snail out before I go. Thanks for the help :heart

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

Wow, Chrissy, I hope everything works out. I can't really help out here, I just wanted to say thanks for being so supportive when I had problems; best of luck to you!

Edited by Hiba

Good news everyone, I am home early (probably just for a day) and I checked on George, he's great! I think the big tank cleaning and the heater made a big difference. He doesn't seem lethargic and his tail appears to be healing well. Woo hoo!