Another Bio Media Question

So far in my filters i have cartridges with blue floss on them. Junk. I hate them. I have been shoving in stiff, blue, cut to size, filter floss in stead trying to make the transition. I also have stiff black cut to size carbon pad. Bought it before i knew i didn't need it and decided to use it for bio media. Great idea because it doesn't dissolve away but i had to remove it to medicate. :oops: I also have a bag of ceramic rings shoved in one but i don't think the water runs through it very well. So over all i am not satisfied with my filter set up at all. So i am thinking of trying this in my penguin 200.

bio media cartridge

And right now i have 4 filters on my tank. All small ones. I am trying to decide when i upgrade if i want to stick with Marineland because of the bio wheel, But i HATE the floss. Or if i would like to try the Aquaclear. With sponges and foam. Those sound appealing. And those bio wheels did not save my cycle from this recent bump i am having.Okay enough babbling. What do u guys thing of this stuff?

• Admin

Humm, the only thing i saw about it that i didnt really like was the removal of the ammonia, nitrites. See you need that to keep it cycled... Dont know but you can try it and let us know :)

Well now i don't know. I was assuming it meant it would eventually control ammonia and nitrites because the bb's would grow on it. But if it has something in it chemically to remove that stuff i want NONE OF IT. I found a data sheet on it. See what you think.

data sheet

:whatjust:

Lol. I'd be wary too.

Anielynn have you seen the really tiny bioballs like these? They are very light and tiny but porous so good for bbs. The biostars and ceramic loops are angular and can be tricky to get enough into smaller filters, as they jut out awkwardly and somtimes affect the propellor.

This is what I mean:

2009113014320000.jpg

• Admin

:whatjust:

Lol. I'd be wary too.

Anielynn have you seen the really tiny bioballs like these? They are very light and tiny but porous so good for bbs. The biostars and ceramic loops are angular and can be tricky to get enough into smaller filters, as they jut out awkwardly and somtimes affect the propellor.

This is what I mean:

2009113014320000.jpg

They look like coco puff :druel

My understanding from the reading of the ReeFresH20 description and data sheet is that they are porous ceramic biomedia. Their instructions for use do not resemble the instructions for chemical-based filtration (chemical media must be replaced quite often, or soaked in a salt solution to recharge). The instructions are consistent with use as biological filtration.

They inaccurately say "remove" ammonia and nitrite instead of "cycle", "convert", "metabolise", or such. I think this is mostly marketing language so that less-informed customers understand the product's general purpose. Sometimes, it takes an interpreter for informed Koko's members to understand the simplified marketing language :)