Does Salt Kill Cycle?

Recently i suspected parasites due to the fact i didn't quarantine long enough. I just couldn't keep the ammonia down for two fish in a 10 gallon. I know now i should have used a rubbermaid but i panicked And put them in the tank to soon. Dumb. So i salted my 55 tank to .3 and my 20 to .2. Never had the heart to take the little guys to .3 that weren't showing symptoms. Well they did about 2 weeks in salt. Kind of lethargic. So i salted down. Got them in clean water. Removed carbon pads on the 55 and used parasite clear. The fish seem to be fine. Through all of this i did little testing for ammonia. I know. :SmackBottom: But i have had a very dependable cycle. And i tested before salting. I do remember that. Tested all params. We were perfect. Then i did a big water change and did the parasite clear. Another water change yesterday and i tested water. Ammonia .50. I thought it was from removing my carbon pads that i know contain part of my bb's but i tested my 20 that didn't have its pads removed and i have a bump there also. Also the 20 didn't get parasite clear. So i have narrowed it down to salt. :cry

So were do i go from here? I put the carbon pads back in. I had them in a bucket of water with a bubbler. I did that last night and i am showing .25 on my ammonia today. I can't tell yet if my cycle is totally dead or it is just not enough to keep up. But it was a 100 percent water change and i am at .25 after about 16 hours. So it may be totally dead. Do i do massive water chages and get that ammonia out or let it have its way till it reaches .50. And then do 50 percent water changes. That is what i am leaning towards to see what my cycle will do.

I thought i might also pick up a bottle of cycle. I have seen Koko recommend this.

What about everybody that treats for ick? Isn't salt killing off your cycle? Why just me?

No, I don't think it's the salt - because even saltater aquariums cycle the same way as freshwater.

Hmm, very curious... could it have been rummaging around in your filter media that did it I wonder? no other ideas.... I'd say to do huge water changes to lessen the ammonia as much as possible. No sense putting the fish through all that ammonia stress.

I've had to salt my tank numerous times for various reasons and it's never given me a cycle bump. I would say most likely that it's from disturbing your bb's when you removed your filter pads but that wouldn't make any sense b/c of the 20 gallon showing ammonia as well. Test the ammonia twice in a row...i've had a test show a crap load of ammonia and i knew it wasn't right so i would test again...it would be zero...again and again..zero. I've used cycle during a bump and it kicked it right back in...I highly reccommend picking some of that up for sure:) When you do have a bump it takes a few days...sometimes a week for it to catch back up...you can cut your feeding down to once a day to cut back on the ammonia and that will let the cycle catch up faster. I don't think you're bb's are dead i think whatever is going on has just disturbed them and they are mad at you...i would say they should come back...espceially if you get some cycle:)

Did you pour the salt water in your filter or too close to the intake? I've heard that could kill a cycle (not sure how valid it is, but it was in a fish book, don't remember the name however), I've never had any problems with salt killing my cycle whenever I've used it, but I pour it throughout my tank to let it spread around evenly...

Salt CAN effect cycles. It does not always, but I have had experience where it did.

I found that it most often effects newly established cycles, OR cycles that are not fully complete. For example.. a few times I used salt in a cycling system and the cycle never picked back up until the salt was once again removed.

Let me see if I can find the thread I posted a while ago about this...

FOUND IT: Hope that helps a little bit!

http://www.kokosgold..._1entry844362

There could also be other factors, like medications or the carbon or removal of floss, just like everyone was suggesting, but maybe those things AND a combination of the salt did something? Good news is, if u can keep the ammonia to a minimum while the salt is in there, usually it bounces back pretty quick!!!!

When you do have a bump it takes a few days...sometimes a week for it to catch back up...you can cut your feeding down to once a day to cut back on the ammonia and that will let the cycle catch up faster. I don't think you're bb's are dead i think whatever is going on has just disturbed them and they are mad at you...i would say they should come back...espceially if you get some cycle:)

Yep I agree with what she said!! Except I personally never had any luck with cycle, or any of the other bacteria boosters. Other people have though, so its worth a shot!

Edited by CountryLovah

Thanks guys. I guess it must have just been a combination of things. I know i never expected the bump at all in my 20 gallon. I didn't take anything out of it. But i did rinse it. And added salt. But i have decided when money allows i am giving my filters bio media makeovers. Slowly.

So i picked up cycle.At this point it is worth a shot. Thats a lot of water changing. Would it be more helpful to add it to the filters of pour it in the tank?

Oh and by the way i did add the salt very close to the filters. To help with the mix. So that may have contributed.

I cycle all my betta tanks and as soon as the cycle gets hold (before I add the fish)I start adding very minute amounts of salt and then build up to what I will normally put in with one gallon of water (normally like one half of a teaspoon or a tad under) and the cycle always goes well. I think because I gradually introduce it somethimes it can take longer but with established tanks I've never had any problems. I don't presalt my goldie's tank because I wasn't sure if it was required or not, but it seems everyone here uses it as treatment where with betta most people use it as a preventative?