Bacterial Infection?

h.akhtar

Okay, cool. I was convinced on treating him with prazi and salt but I needed a full explanation of it to feel comfortable doing it (I was worried I'd overwhelm the fish with medications after giving him Maracyn last week, Melafix all week, Anti-Bacteria food for a while...); thank you Lupin and Trinket! Going to get on this now and hope I'm in time, though I know I'm really late.

Guys, I used API General Cure for the parasites. It had praziquantel; hope it's okay! When I put it in, he seemed very energetic (not sure if it was in a good way or bad way) for the rest of the evening.

I woke up today and his fins have gotten a bit more ragged, clearly finrot, right? Is there anything else I can do for this finrot, other than 0.3% salt and (trying atleast) to have absolute perfect water conditions. Will heating the water help? I've been reading the pages about goldfish disease/treatment on Koko's main page; I just need help piecing it all together.

Edited by Hiba

Hiba, I am so sorry not answering you earlier but it seems you were having issues while I was asleep in the middle of the night.:(

Could you please tell us how you added salt, hun? How are the remaining survivors coping?

No, no, Lupin, that's alright. Hope you got a good rest? :)

Well, these four fish were together and they all died with the same symptoms and problems. The other fish have always been separate and are doing very well. :) I think they'll get even better now that I can use yours and Trinket's advice on treating all new fish for parasites.

About the salt, I followed Ranchugirl's post on salting (from the Treatment section of the forum). This is what I understood and tried to follow: 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons = 0.1%. To reach 0.3%, add another 0.1% after 12 hours. Repeat again after 12 hours. I followed the instructions given for a salt dip a few days ago; the oranda responded well, but I guess I was already pretty late and couldn't help him.