Shame Shame.

emilydelong

I work at a department store that is a lot like Wally Mart. Today a man asked for help in the pet department to get some fish. He bought 6 commons, then put the smallest bowl we carry and the cheapest food in his cart. I made a comment to the man selling the fish to him that those fish weren't going to survive very long if that man was expecting them to live in that bowl, and he replied that it wasn't really our business if he planned to keep them all in the bowl. We are only concerned with collecting the money, not with the care they get once they leave the store. :o *cringe*

GGGRRRRRRRR!!!!

I once questioned an aquarium staffer why they don't have pamplets on the counter telling people about cycling (have you ever noticed how many pet shop staff look at you blankly if you mention cycling?). Her reply was that fish tend to be a 'no maintenence, first pet, want it now' item. If they tell a customer that they have to cycle a tank over a few weeks, they lose the sale of fish, tank etc - drops into the 'too hard' basket.

She then added that the bonus is that if the fish die, they can just sell them more when they come back.

Sooooooooo wrong!

On the original posting, you'd think the staff would tell the customer how big commets get... the customer may have purchased a bigger tank and got them a better sale.

GGGRRRRRRRR!!!!

I once questioned an aquarium staffer why they don't have pamplets on the counter telling people about cycling (have you ever noticed how many pet shop staff look at you blankly if you mention cycling?). Her reply was that fish tend to be a 'no maintenence, first pet, want it now' item. If they tell a customer that they have to cycle a tank over a few weeks, they lose the sale of fish, tank etc - drops into the 'too hard' basket.

She then added that the bonus is that if the fish die, they can just sell them more when they come back.

Sooooooooo wrong!

On the original posting, you'd think the staff would tell the customer how big commets get... the customer may have purchased a bigger tank and got them a better sale.

I doubt that he would have gotten one of our tanks that were for sale. He got commons because they were a dollar cheaper than the fantails and moores. For our Black Friday All Day sale, he could've gotten a 20 gal for $30, yet opted to buy the itsy bitsy $6 bowl.

Sooo sad. If it had been puppies or kittens someone would have called the ASPCA or something. But fish just don't seem to count, especially goldfish. At my lfs, they seem to get annoyed with me when I'm in there buying stuff for my goldfish ("I'm sure someday you'll want to upgrade to some better fish").

People don't realise just how precious goldfish are. They are literally a beautiful artform in Japan and China... if this fact was pushed more, there would be more respect for them.

I remember seeing a quote somewhere that goldfish are 'the flowers of the water'...

Sooo sad. If it had been puppies or kittens someone would have called the ASPCA or something. But fish just don't seem to count, especially goldfish. At my lfs, they seem to get annoyed with me when I'm in there buying stuff for my goldfish ("I'm sure someday you'll want to upgrade to some better fish").

This is exactly how my parents think. They got angry with me when I bought my 90 gal for goldfish. They even got the man at the pet store to try to talk me out of putting my goldfish in the tank and instead get some "pretty and interesting fish".

This is exactly how my parents think. They got angry with me when I bought my 90 gal for goldfish. They even got the man at the pet store to try to talk me out of putting my goldfish in the tank and instead get some "pretty and interesting fish".

Oh, I have commets and think they are boring looking compared to all the beautiful fish on here! I would never get anything other than a goldfish. They are so beautiful and diverse.

Amazing isn't it? Obviously that man was a tight wad and when you told him that all he saw were dollar signs, how rude. You know...when i got my 46 gallon it came with a bunch of mixed tropicals, i immediately just gave them to the lfs b/c i wanted goldfish lol. Out of all the freshwater aquarium fish out there goldies come in the most different sizes, shapes, colors, and they are the most outgoing fish i've ever seen!

I've heard the "flowers of the water" thing too...people are dumb ha ha

Every once in a while you will find a person in a store that would love to have the information you have to offer. The man might not have had a clue that he was sentencing them to death and might have loved to have been forewarned. You shouldn't be scared to approach someone. Just practice ahead of time what you might say. And let people know you just happen to raise goldies yourself and ask if they would like a little information.

Every once in a while you will find a person in a store that would love to have the information you have to offer. The man might not have had a clue that he was sentencing them to death and might have loved to have been forewarned. You shouldn't be scared to approach someone. Just practice ahead of time what you might say. And let people know you just happen to raise goldies yourself and ask if they would like a little information.

That is actually very true. I never knew what needed to be done. My son brought home a fish from the fair one day and we kept it in a bowl and I changed its water every few days since it had no air supply. When it started to float on its side, I drove to vvvv and asked the guy what was wrong with my fish. I so badly wanted it to live, but I didn't know everything that was required. The only advice he gave me was to add dechlorinator to the water. That fixed the problem, but I'm sure the fish still wasn't happy getting the tank completely cleaned out every few days and still no air supply. It wasn't until I bought a tank kit that I had a complete set, then I found this site and upgraded to a larger tank (50 gal) and better equipment.

There is still so much to learn though, I'm sure! Its very exciting though.

It's a shame that most of the general population who goes out and buys a generic pet fish (betta, goldies, etc) either don't know or don't care about what the proper care should be. I've caught myself dozens of time stopping someone lurking in the bowl section or holding two betta and one tank. I've found that most time it's misinformation, and that once you nicely explain to the person the real care a fish involves they'll either listen and learn, disregard and buy anyway, or leave without a fish. It is sad when people think you don't know what you're talking about because they have it in their head that "they're just fish". I gotten angry at a couple people like that over the years and told them to come to my house, and see my fish room and then tell me that "they're just fish". If they don't care about their well being, why even buy one?!

Edited by Pearlscaleperfect