Scented Candle Harmful!

I was at the super market last night and I decided to buy a nice "Christmasy" smelling candle. When I got home I tipped the box upside down to get the candle out, and low and behold there was a warning on the bottom of the box that read;

"Harmful to aquatic organisms, may cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic environment." :yikes

Needless to say I will not be lighting this candle anytime soon!

wow you would think that glade would be pretty good about not making candles that would hurt household critters! I thought maybe you bought some off brand candle or something....i will be sure to check that out the next time i buy a candle!

It's probably just a warning that you mustn't discard it where it will come into contact with aquatic wildlife, such as ponds, lakes and rivers as the chemicals used in the wax could dissolve into the water. I don't think it'll actually kill your fish just by being lit in the same room as the tank. I would, however, caution against placing it anywhere where there is a possibility of it falling into the tank.

It's probably just a warning that you mustn't discard it where it will come into contact with aquatic wildlife, such as ponds, lakes and rivers as the chemicals used in the wax could dissolve into the water. I don't think it'll actually kill your fish just by being lit in the same room as the tank. I would, however, caution against placing it anywhere where there is a possibility of it falling into the tank.

Same thoughts here, Man Yu.

Hope I don't sound like a pompous horse's rear end, but the only safe candles are those made from natural beeswax with lead- and zinc-free wicks. Most other candles are made with lovely toxic substances that aren't good for humans or their pets.