My First Goldie Fry Ever!

Netertari

Hi all!

I've been keeping Goldies for about 12 years and this is the first time I've ever had fry! I've seen them spawn but never had the space to let the eggs hatch.

Now I've got tons of space! I collected about 21 eggs and brought them inside. I didn't think the eggs would hatch so quickly . . . just two days in the 2.5 gallon aquarium with the light on. I didn't turn the filter off in time, and the current was obviously too much for the fry that hatched before I awoke.

Soooo . . . 12 fry left, eating hardboiled egg, and microscopic buggies that I bring in from the ponds outside.

I'm so excited I haven't even stopped watching them long enough to make up the beds in the morning!

The fry are 5 days old and all 12 are still alive with bulging bellies. One was a floater and seemed liked a "gone-er" but surprisingly is swimming around after 3 days of being stuck at the top. I can see them pooping now.

I performed a 25% water change already because I don't have a box filter and the power filter is too strong. I made the change with green water from another little Goldie nursery I started outside.

Gosh I can't wait to see what colors they'll be!

The fry are from my Fancies. At the most, I'm hoping for at least one decent Fantail. I was never particularly impressed with Fantails until I saw how beautiful they are when they grow large.

Congrats on your babies!! I hope one day my four strange darlings will reproduce to have a magical pearlscale-ranchu-lionhead-oranda monstrosity. I wonder if I will have to wait 12 years for that too?! No signs of them trying to spawn for me yet....

Don't forget to show us pictures pictures pictures!!! I am so excited for you!

• 1 month later...

Hi!

Well, out of 21 eggs in my kitchen, 13 hatched. I don't know how many hatched in my green water tank outside, but I counted about 10 eggs, so there were probably twice that many.

The fry that I had indoors, fed on boiled egg yolk could not compare to the growth of the fry in green water, left to fend for themselves.

The fry outdoors were huge, sporting big round bellies, scales, dorsal fin nice and erect, they looked liked full-fledged goldfish at 3 weeks!

Even my most robust fry in the house couldn't compare.

I've kept one fry it seems like it's going to be white

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there!

My digital camera is on the blink, so I can't take any pictures this time. I had to move the mother---a Red Cap Oranda---into what was one of the experimental fry tanks because it appears she was in her tank with two males. I know one is a male because I had viable eggs but I thought the large Calico Fantail was female because it's large and hasn't displayed any breeding tubercles yet, and the belly gets pretty round, more so on one side.

But my girl was looking exhausted and a little floaty---distressed. So I'm thinking maybe she's outnumbered.

Anyway I didn't have anywhere else to put her then, and she's important to me so I put her in with the fry. One fry survived and it's even bigger than the other fry I thought was huge.

It decolored to white with an orange spot on it's head. I wonder if it will develop a red wen, or wen at all.

My "first big fry" the one living on its own in about 8 gallons of water, decolored to white, now it's gone back to a steel grey, on it's back. I was thinking ammonia burns, but it has so much water to itself and I feed very lightly once or twice a day because its belly is always bulging, so no left over food, and I've got a bunch of thriving myriophyllum in there, and the water is light green. So perhaps this is another phase in decoloring: Grey to white, to grey, to it's real color?

People have been asking me for Goldies, so I'm going to put them together again and collect some eggs.

This is so much fun! It's so exciting! My Six year old just excuses herself politely when I try to engage her in "Goldie Talk", and my husband won't come anywhere near a tank that I'm standing next to for fear I'll try to hold him in conversation. Go figure. . . .

• 6 months later...

Hello there!

My digital camera is on the blink, so I can't take any pictures this time. I had to move the mother---a Red Cap Oranda---into what was one of the experimental fry tanks because it appears she was in her tank with two males. I know one is a male because I had viable eggs but I thought the large Calico Fantail was female because it's large and hasn't displayed any breeding tubercles yet, and the belly gets pretty round, more so on one side.

But my girl was looking exhausted and a little floaty---distressed. So I'm thinking maybe she's outnumbered.

Anyway I didn't have anywhere else to put her then, and she's important to me so I put her in with the fry. One fry survived and it's even bigger than the other fry I thought was huge.

It decolored to white with an orange spot on it's head. I wonder if it will develop a red wen, or wen at all.

My "first big fry" the one living on its own in about 8 gallons of water, decolored to white, now it's gone back to a steel grey, on it's back. I was thinking ammonia burns, but it has so much water to itself and I feed very lightly once or twice a day because its belly is always bulging, so no left over food, and I've got a bunch of thriving myriophyllum in there, and the water is light green. So perhaps this is another phase in decoloring: Grey to white, to grey, to it's real color?

People have been asking me for Goldies, so I'm going to put them together again and collect some eggs.

This is so much fun! It's so exciting! My Six year old just excuses herself politely when I try to engage her in "Goldie Talk", and my husband won't come anywhere near a tank that I'm standing next to for fear I'll try to hold him in conversation. Go figure. . . .

Hi,

Well I kept two fry, should have been a cull because it was shaped like a common with a tightly clamped four lobed tail.

The other one is beautiful, red matt with wen and brocade scales on her caudal penducle. A nice four lobed tail, joined only about 25%. She has a great deep round body and is officially a Red Matt Oranda!

However, I rehomed all my Goldies because I relocated and could not take them with me. Sooo. I'll be setting up a conventional tank indoors, I'd love to do green water outside, but my toddler would get in any chance he gets.

What did I learn, Breed fry outdoors in green water with plenty of space. They grow huge incredibly fast and their colours are amazingly bright!

Hi!

My husband didn't give away the fry . . . he's been taking care of them . . . and I shouldn't call them fry anymore because they're now fingerlings . . . who have had their own fry!

My husband who quietly goes in the other direction when he sees me near the tanks separated the fry from their parents and set them up in a 45 gallon! He's even debating with me about which is male and female, and he's quoting Goldie behaviour to prove it . . . he's been listening to me all these years! Ha! This is hilarious!

• 3 months later...