Fresh Water "Brine Shrimp"?

Netertari

Hi,

I have the little crustaceans in my "pond" that look just like shrimp, they seem to eat only algea and perhaps microscopic organisms. They are very small,about the size of brine shrimp.

Any one know what they're called? It's a good source of food for my Goldies because they bulk up and look for them constantly.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, it's a copepod, never even heard of them 'til now. That's great, my Goldies love them and there are tons of them. When the Goldies are in the tank, the "shrimpies" hide in the plants, but when I have a green water tank waiting for fish, the shrimpies swim around freely. I guess it's as good as feeding nauplii to the fry, or better since they thrive in fresh water!

By the way, I have a few Fancy fry growing in green water with plants. I haven't fed these fry anything, just put the plant clipping with a few eggs on it and left them to themselves.

The fry are huge at almost three weeks, more than twice the size of what I'm raising in my kitchen on boiled egg.

Very cool! Glad to hear it's just the harmless copepods.:) Welcome back by the way! It must have been a long time you were absent.:o Any photos of the fry? I always love to see baby goldies.heartpump.gif