He Molted!

whitner

I can't help being fascinated by Big Blue, my brothers new lobter/crayfish, whatever it is. I check in on him all the time. Today I noticed that there were two of them, or so I thought. I saw two tail sticking out from underneath his rock and I thought my brother bought another one. So when I realized that it was the same one I was shocked! Haha. It was cool in a gross way. He's now a darker blue. I heard that they eat their exoskeleton for protein or something like that? Maybe it will keep him from eating the fish. By the way, not one went missing last night. :)

:rofl

That's hilarious. They are fascinating. We use to keep crayfish and they would climb out the tub and walk round the room. Another of their scare- the- life -out of you tricks :lol1

The shell contains high amounts of chitin, which they eat each time they molt so they are able to make a new shell. When animals are deficient in this, they have bad molts and can die. As long as they have a balanced diet there should be nothing to worry about.

(He will still get your fish, though, so you may want to relocate him. After he recovers from his molt he'll have more energy and go hunting again!)

• 4 weeks later...

The shell contains high amounts of chitin, which they eat each time they molt so they are able to make a new shell. When animals are deficient in this, they have bad molts and can die. As long as they have a balanced diet there should be nothing to worry about.

(He will still get your fish, though, so you may want to relocate him. After he recovers from his molt he'll have more energy and go hunting again!)

IMO you can keep crayfish with tropicals just don't put too much decors which he can climb on and snag some of the fish.

• 3 weeks later...