My New Blue Oranda...

eather.hey

Hi everyone. I'm brand new to the site. I've been looking for something like this for awhile! Anyway... 2 weeks ago or so I saw a tank full of blue orandas at the local pet store that I really fell in love with. Today I went back and they still looked healthy, so I bought one. I've had tons of different kinds of goldfish in my life, but never orandas. I brought my new oranda home to by 2 fan tails and for the first time I think I'm seeing aggressive goldfish! The fan tails do not seem to care for the oranda much. The fan tails are both sticking their heads between the oranda's tail fins and they seem like they're chasing him. I've also noticed that the fan tails are poking at the oranda a little. The oranda doesn't seem to really care much yet. I've read different opinions online about mixing different types of goldfish. I've had black moors mixed with these same 2 fan tails and they were fine together, so I'm not sure what the deal is. The blue oranda is about the same size as the larger fan tail, so it's not a size issue. I also took all the plants and ornaments out of the tank to rule out "territory" issues and that's helped a little. Has anyone had experience with aggressive goldfish?

Thanks!

Heather

Hi Heather,

You might find they settle down in a few days once they've got over this 'my territory!' thing.

However, the sort of behaviour you're describing sounds more like spawning interest. I bet you that your new blue oranda is a girl and the fantails are boys. Do the fantails have little white dots on the heads, gill cover or front edge of the pectoral fins? If yes, they are defintely boys who are ready to breed. :)

Guest aliandpie

I just got a new white oranda..and it was chasing all the fish for the firt two days. All is calm now..thank God..I thought I was going to have to put him/her by its self.

It does sound like breeding behavior. Look for the little white bumps like Emma suggested.

Like Ali, I have had fish chase each other for a few days after they're introduced. It's just a goldies way of showing who's boss. If this is the reason for the chasing in your tank, things will settle down with time.

Congrats on your new fish. :)

Archived