Chloeheartsfish

Clementine The Land-Lubber!

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 0

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.0, KH 80, GH 60

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API strips

[*]Water temperature? 20 celcius (room temp)

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gals, running about a week? Seeded with mature filter media from the 50g

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Aquatech... something, must have come as part of a kit or something. Small.

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 505 week

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? one comet goldfish, four inches including tail

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? New Life Spectrum pellets, once every second day, about eight pellets

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? she's the new fish

[*]Any medications added to the tank? salt .1%

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Fins a little crusty, some redness on belly

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Swimming around very disortientedly, periods of activity followed by lying at the bottom gasping

OMG! Ok, so this is what happened. this morning I woke up to see only one big orange fish in the tank by my bed instead of two. where is Clementine? I start looking around in the tank, picking up ornaments, etc. No Clemmy. I look all around the tank for puddles or fish bodies. No Clemmy. I start to suspect my cats have had a snack. I start crawling around looking for scales and bones. I find Clemmy under my dresser, very dusty and sticky - but not dry. I pull her out and she flaps weakly in my hand so I immediately put her back in the tank. I start "walking" her like I'd read about on here. I try to clean the dust and cat hair away from her gills. I let her go and she sort of float-swims around!

So I rush to the other room where I'm doing my silk plant experiment and haul everything out of the tank (sorry guys). I do a water change, salt it to .1% and go back for Clem. she's now upside down on the tank floor breathing heavily, oh god. I scoop her up in a container and rush her into the the 10g. She's right now sort of whirling around looking drunk and taking small rests on the floor. Her fins are clamped, but she has little bursts of energy.

Is there anything else I can do for her other than keep her hear for observation, salt her for scrapes and give her TLC?? NO idea how long she was out of the water. At least an hour is my guess..... Poor poor Clementine!

Man!!! Everyone is gone today aren't they!!!! It sounds like you have it covered for now.Is there a bubbler in? Sounds like she needs all the oxygen she can get. And the salt is good. Good luck.

I'm so sorry this happened! You must be freaking out.

So far you're doing everything right. I've had to re-hydrate fish before and they have usually come through fine. She probably will lie around for a bit, so don't worry about that. As you know, salt and clean water is the best you can do for her. Keep her in the dark and keep her calm. Don't try to feed her.

The next thing that will happen is that she'll lose all her slimecoat, some scales and maybe all her fins. It will look awful, but they have been dried out and probably won't recover. The fins usually do grow back, though there will be scars.

Do you know if your cat got to her? If that's the case then she may have more serious internal injuries. Check her for puncture wounds. If it wasn't a cat that got her I'm not sure how she would have gotten out, as fancies can't jump. Maybe re-evaluate your tank lid and make it totally cat-proof. I have two aquariums in my "cat room" and one has solid, heavy glass lids with no cracks. The other is a simple plastic hood that I put heavy things on and I covered the gap in the back.

Good luck and let us know how she's doing!

Good thing you found her when you did! Fish can really live a suprisingly long time out of the water. Like Jsrtist said, you're doing everything right. Do you have any type of stress coat product? You can buy them with aloe, that could be a good idea to help her slime coat.

Thank you everyone! Clemmy is doing pretty good so far. She's not very active but she's up and about in between resting sessions. I've noticed some of her scales have come off. :( Thank you for telling me about all the horrible things that will soon be happening, jartist - I would have been having a heart attack if that stuff had started happening and I didn't know what was going on!!

I think she did jump out, since she's a comet and not a fancy. I am so upset with myself for not getting a hood for the tank, I must have been lulled into a false sense of security with my non-jumping fancies. Argh!! Does anyone have any ideas for a short-term makeshift lid? I've looked up some prices for the size of hood I'd need and they are crazy expensive, like $200! I've got a new job but I won't be getting paid for another two weeks... and I don't want a repeat performance with Boris!

I don't know if my cats got to her... when I pulled her out from under the dresser, I was freaking out too much to take a good look. I've been peering at her in the tank and can't see any obvious injuries - the redness on her "throat" area seems to be lessening... Should I try to take her out and examine her??

I will definitely get my hands on some stress coat with aloe, I remember we used to sell that stuff at the pet shop. Good thinking Chrissy! And also thank you for reminding me about the bubbler, Anielynn, she probably could use some extra Oxygen!

Also, how long should I wait before I try to feed her??

Thank you again everyone!! :heart

Just wanted to say I set Clemmy up with a bubbler and she seems much more active. I hope that is because it is making her more comfortable and not because she is stressed out by it!! :unsure:

What an amazing fish - I can just imagine how panicky that was looking for her and then finding her when you did! You did all the right things. She must be in shock and will take time to recover. When she settles a little you can feed her.

Meanwhile MASSIVE oxygen will truly be the thing to speed her recovery here. Salt will help too and maybe shade the tank as she will be very stressed.

oops double post, yes those bubbles are going to help!

OMG,poor Clemmy :stars OMG,poor you :sleeping: ,what a thing to wake up to :whatjust: It sounds like you're both starting to recover from a very stressful morning :gfish: Thank God you didn't have to lose her to learn this lesson :heart Dang,they can be so scary and painful,can't they? :please -it's a very sinking feeling when you can't find someone in the tank :exactly I'm trying to think what I would use around my house for a cover :hummm How big is your main tank? I' thinking anything like a picture off the wall even,or maybe a box. If I were really desperate and couldn't find anything,I think I'd even try saran wrap :idont Remember,'necessity is the mother of invention'. Good luck to all of you tonight :heart

How scary! It is amazing you found her when you did.

Just wanted to update and say that Clementine is going very well! Still spending a lot of time resting, and much of her fins have turned white and are getting splintery and ready-to-fall-off, but she is in good spirits and is eating very well.

Thanks so much for all the help! :)

Oh Chloe,that's wonderful :heart

Poor fish! How is she doing?

As for a cover, I have bettas in large bowls in my living room and the cats get in there and drink the water and have even eaten one of my fish. I got some screen from Home Depot to replace a screen down and used the extra to make covers. I cut it in squares so it'll overlap about 2 inches on each side. One of the bowls has a snap on black rim which holds the screen in place. The other one is held on by a rubber band. It's worth a try. You can get a 2 ft x 3 ft roll for $22 at Home Depot, but if you looked around, you could probably find cheaper.

Chloe is everything still going well with Clemetine! I am so glad it seems she made such a remarkable recovery!! :heart

That's so great that she is such a fighter...I would have totally FREAKED out if i found one of my fish on the floor...way to be strong lol!

Clementine is doing beautifully! She is still bare of scales on one side, and a bit on her head, and her once-long beautiful tail is now short and rounded, but she is very energetic. I'm not sure when I should move her back in with Boris - if at all. She seems much more active on her own, Boris is such a jerk. I may have to save up and get her her own 20 gallon.

Oh My Gosh that must have been so scary :( I do hope she recovers quickly :)

Glad she's doing better! Maybe she would be happier on her own. I have a male rat named Boris who isn't so nice either! LOL

How big of a comet is she? A 20 gallon is really on the small side for comets, and it's possible that's why she jumped. (I've had them jump out of ponds that I thought were plenty big enough for their size, too). Is it possible to find her a 20 long, if you must use a 20? Get a secure lid, too. I like to make my own glass lids because they are heavy and fit securely. Sometimes your local pet store will sell extra handles that you can put on them, too. (Mine all have different mis-matched handles, haha!)

Good luck and I hope she continues to recover.

I'd say she is alllmost four inches. She and Boris were moved into the 35 gal when they were left behind in a ten gal by the house's previous owners. I could probably swing getting her her own 30 gal I'm sure, I'll just have to save up a bit more. is 30 a good size? I've never had comets before these two and I'm less sure about their space requirements.

I'd say she is alllmost four inches. She and Boris were moved into the 35 gal when they were left behind in a ten gal by the house's previous owners. I could probably swing getting her her own 30 gal I'm sure, I'll just have to save up a bit more. is 30 a good size? I've never had comets before these two and I'm less sure about their space requirements.

did her tail get better on its own? Ours jumped out too, she feels fine now but has the beginnings of fin rot on her tail. But it seems to be getting better. Did you add anything besides salt, like maracyn or melafix?

Nope, just good old .3% salt! Her tail is slowly growing back, but it is a different shape than it once was (before it was forked, now it is growing out rounded). The tips of her fins that are growing back are all white, which I think means that part will fall off eventually. I don't think your fish has fin rot, it's just a sign that the fins are dead. Just keep your water super clean and .3% salt (if she can handle it, some can only tolerate .2%) and those white parts will soon fall off and be replaced by new growth :)

Nope, just good old .3% salt! Her tail is slowly growing back, but it is a different shape than it once was (before it was forked, now it is growing out rounded). The tips of her fins that are growing back are all white, which I think means that part will fall off eventually. I don't think your fish has fin rot, it's just a sign that the fins are dead. Just keep your water super clean and .3% salt (if she can handle it, some can only tolerate .2%) and those white parts will soon fall off and be replaced by new growth :)

thanks!

Guest Kelsang

Did you get a hood for your tank?

I didn't get one for mine so I made one with some plastic wrapping + tape. Works great and it's cheap ^_^

Yeah I'm doing the cheapo plastic wrap thing too! Just gotta get my paycheck... now that xmas is over I won't have to be so stingy.