Big Blue

whitner

I came home last night and saw that my brother had bought a blue lobster for his community tank. My first thoughts were, "He'll eat your fish!" And guess what? He did! I woke up this morning and noticed that one of the mollies was missing. My brother admitted that the lobster got to it.

Right now he's hiding under a rock. I feel kinda bad for him, cause he's not used to everything yet, but those fish need to watch out for him.

No, I don't think he was that upset, however he did really like that molly. He'll just get more. It was the only one in the tank. The rest are platies and tetras, so they're faster. I'm still just waiting on more to go missing, though.

Unfortunately that lobster will eat every last fish in there! That's not a maybe, that's definite. They strike at night when the fish are sleeping, since they're bottom dwellers.

Crustaceans (with the exception of small shrimp) are not good for any fish tank. They need to be kept in their own enclosures, and not with fish or other inverts like snails.

Trinket is right although there are a few other exceptions, not just small shrimps. Dwarf crayfish would be your better choice for a community tank than the typically large ones which are ambush predators by nature.

I've tried to tell him that, but he won't listen. He says, "That's not what the guy at the fish store said." Okay, then, I guess he'll learn his lesson. Then he goes to say that he doesn't really want the fish anyway, that he'd rather just have the lobster by itself, but he can't just let them die! I would totally take them if I had the space. I don't think my brother deserves to have fish if he doesn't care about them. What he heck did he buy them for?!?! He'll get bored of this hobby soon just like all the other ones he's ever tried. That's what makes me sooooooooo mad!

Well, it turns out that little platy died from the stress of the cycling. My brother hasn't been doing big water changes like he should, the ammonia was up to 4 ppm, so I did one for him. I've tried to be patient but he's so hardheaded!