Soft Water Questions

Guest basenjib123

Guest basenjib123

I have been a fish keeper for longer than I can remember but I find myself in a "newbie" position. We moved to the New England area and my tap water has little to no KH or TH while pH is about 7.4. From what I can gather the water is treated by the city with a "soda ash method" which artificially raises the pH. The pH surprisingly seems to hold at that value even after several days of heavy aeration. I would like to keep some Nerite Zebra Snails but I am concerned about the lack of mineral content in my tap. I know leaving the water alone is best but I am pretty sure the snails would suffer if I did. Do you think putting in some plaster of paris pucks would allow the snails to thrive? One of the reasons I want the snails is because the area is plague by brown algae. I hear even people with established tanks get these Diatoms around here. I understand the Zebra's will make quick work of that stuff. Anyhow, please feel free to give tips and or advice on anything regarding this water that is devoid of minerals. Thanks again, Joe.

• 2 weeks later...

Joe, nerite snails demand a lot of calcium for their nice thick shells. Why not add calcium carbonate to increase the hardness levels? This will also stabilize the pH as any pH crash will quickly damage their shells badly that the damage becomes almost irreversible for nerite snails. Plaster of Paris pucks help but that's not enough at all. You need something else to elevate your hardness levels if you want their shells to remain nice and thick.