Aquaclear Filters - Maintenance

jody

I bought a couple of AquaClear 50 filters about 3-4 months ago. My LFS has foam, activated carbon, bio-max, ammonia remover, and zeo carb inserts. I have already used the bio-max, foam, and ammonia remover. So far I have only changed the foam after about 3 months. I rinse all media weekly. What are the best inserts to use and how often do you change them? I am wondering what everyone?s regime with these filters is.

headscratch.gif

I also have an AquaClear 50 filter. I got it in September when I got a bigger tank for my fish. It has been the best filter I've ever used. My new tank was cycling properly in a week. I don't do weekly media rinses, but I do change the charcoal insert every 4 to 6 weeks. I just changed the foam insert a few days ago. And sometime next month I plan to change the BioMax insert and clean the motor.

I have 3 aquaclears running now, I really love them. I keep the foam basically until it disintegrates! I just give it a good rinse in tank water every time I clan the filters. I also use the bio inserts, which are ceramic cylinders. Those never get replaced either. Occasionally I will use charcoal, but not as a rule, only to remove meds of odors.

Glad to hear your maintenance routines. I was kind of wondering about the bio-max inserts, it says to change every 3 months but I find that excessive. I might try the carbon inserts as I have a little odor sometimes from the tank, during cycling I find.

I am not really sure if the ammonia remover insert is necessary or not, it says to change that monthly. I am slightly overstocked and get do ammonia spikes sometimes. I do use prime but maybe the ammonia remover insert is a good compliment to my cycle?

Anyone try the Zeo-carb insert?

I have 6 Aquaclears. I run my Aquaclear with 2 foam inserts and nothing else. Sometimes I'll rinse them in tank water when I do a water change but sometimes I don't. Some of my foam inserts haven't been rinsed in over 8 months. The foam insert will last for years they just need a good squeezing out in tank water once and a while.