Red Cap Oranda Vs. Fin Rot

Desiree

I've been running around trying to come up with a way to divide the tank right now and I'm at a loss. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to buy a divider right now-- hopefully later this week.

In the meantime, should I continue to medicate? Tomorrow will be two weeks of using salt/Melafix/Pimafix/ Medigold.

I'm not sure about that considering those meds never seemed to help especially as you mentioned the fins remain the same like before. I'd just continue the salt and stop the rest. If the fins no longer have the white edges which is what indicates finrot, I'd switch everything to simply clean water until you can get a divider or find a way to separate him from the calico oranda to let his tail repair itself without any interference. Keeping water happy never failed in my experience. Works like a charm.:)

I agree! I will stop the Melafix/ Pimafix/ Medigold tomorrow. I'll do a large water change and bring the salt level back to 0.03%. Should I run some carbon through my filters?

I'm so confused. My water parameters have been consistently perfect for so long. When I purchased her she looked pretty ragged. But she's been living in perfect water for almost a year with little improvement. Not to mention, my Calico Oranda, although he definitely plays a part in this-- I've never seen him nip her fins.

No need for carbon if you are going to do a large water change, hun. I still have a sneaky suspicion on the calico but I would not know since I can't see him personally.:P

Tonight I have noticed both of my fish aren't swimming around like they normally do. They seem to be bottom sitting far more than normal-- especially my Calico Oranda. And strangely, my Red Cap Oranda keeps swimming over to my Calico Oranda and essentially sits on him for moments at a time-- like a fish totem pole. I'm getting concerned that maybe there's more going on than just fin rot.

Oh yuck! I just tested my water and here are the not so pleasant results-- Ammonia: 0.25, Nitrite: 0, Nitrate: 5, PH: 7.4. On the bright side, they are definitely eating. I just fed them and they jumped up like it was Christmas! As for their poop, I haven't seen much. I try not to overfeed them so I rarely see poop hanging off of them. Am I correct to assume it's water change time?

Ammonia at that amount isn't as toxic as it would have if your pH and temperature were higher but I'd do a water change anyway and hope they'll perk up a bit more.:)

Well, I'm in the midst of finals and have yet to do a water change since I found my ammonia at 0.25-- but I'm doing one tonight. Since Tuesday I have stopped the treatment of Melafix/Pimafix/Medigold. I noticed tonight my Orandas fins now have blood visible through them. I'm getting more and more concerned. They look worse now than before I started treating. I've got a tank divider ordered and will be here soon (fingers crossed!). Although I don't suspect my other Oranda of nipping her fins. Also, they are bottom sitting quite a bit more than normal. Help!

I just wanted to note-- There has been 0.3% salt since 11/23/09. I'm worried that it's been too long, especially since the treatment has been less than effective. I will be doing a water change later tonight and would really like input on whether to keep the salt going, etc.

Desiree, could you please post your nitrite and nitrate? A water change is really needed. The red streaking is evident your fish is not adapting well to the changing water conditions. How do their poop look so far? Are their fins clamped? Do they swim listlessly? Are they still eating well?

I will post complete water parameters momentarily. My Oranda's fins are not clamped, just red and ragged and they are both still eating well. They are swimming listlessly though.

Thanks! I found that my filter cartridges were completely covered in green goo! I rinsed them out and did a 100% water change bringing the salt level back up to 0.3%. I just finished up and they are currently bottom sitting. I fed them and they haven't budged from their spot on the other side of the tank. I'm almost completely out of the big salt carton I bought the other day. It's amazing how quickly you can go through salt! Anyway, should I wait a little while before I test the water again? Also, I have prazi on hand. I'm wondering if (once the water is stabilized) if a round of prazi would help.

So it's been a few days. My cycle has definitely crashed. Despite doing a 100% water change Friday night my levels are still horrible. Ammonia: 1.0, Nitrite: 0.25, Nitrate: 10 (all ready?!), PH: 7.4. Upon looking at my Oranda it looks like her fins are less bloody now. I agree this problem is likely due to the water conditions. I'm curious if salt could have messed with my cycle too. They've been in 0.3% salt now for nearly a month. Seems like the salt did little to help her fin rot. I'm thinking it is time to focus on the water conditions, get the cycle back to normal and remove the salt all together. Any thoughts?

That's really bad. Do partial water changes daily until you can completely remove the salt. I'd take it slow for your goldfish's sake. Hopefully the clean water will help immensely.

Would there be a problem with doing a larger water change tonight? Would the fish have difficulty with reducing the salt level too rapidly? By the way, Lupin-- thank you so much for all your help throughout this process! I really, really appreciate it! :)

Hey Desiree!!!

I got your Pm a few days ago and things have been totally hectic.. this is the first time I have really been able to sit down and read the entire thread..

You're in good hands with Lupin! He's said everything I would have said.. I would read something and think something in my head, and he said it right away!!!

I'm curious if salt could have messed with my cycle too. They've been in 0.3% salt now for nearly a month. Seems like the salt did little to help her fin rot. I'm thinking it is time to focus on the water conditions, get the cycle back to normal and remove the salt all together. Any thoughts?

I def agree that now you want to try fresh clean water, and keep doing the water changes. Hopefully your cycle will pick back up in no time too!!!!!!

Curious, have you ever done an HP or PP swab on the tail? (If you said this earlier in the thread, I apologize for missing it, I was being talked to while reading LOLOL)

And as for the color changes in the wen... how exciting! It def looks like she is going lemonhead to me!!!!!!!!! Awwwwwwww!