Low Ph, Gh, And Kh

jody

I finally figured out that I have a ph problem. I moved about 6 months ago, I didnt even think my new ph would be a problem. I tested a few times when I first moved in and tank and tap seemed about the same. But now tap is 7.4 and tank is 6.8. Thats with my Hagen drop kit and my API kit says tap 6.6 and tank 6.0. Obviously one of the kits is off, which I am pretty sure it is the API because it is about a year older. But regardless it is a differnce of .6 ph points.

I tested my gh which tank and tap are both below 20mg/l. The kh is tank below 10mg/l and tap at 20mg/l. I am pretty clueless about buffers, I heard some crushed coral helps and I think clam shells.

Doing water changes is getting pretty scary as I am a 80% per week kind of guy. I am currently doing 50% twice a week because last week I think I threw Google into ph shock after my 80% because he bottom sat for a day after.

So I am asking for help on how to manage this problem. I will do my research in the meantime but I like to throw this out there for all your advice.

Thanks

I am thinking you should check out "Buff it Up" from goldfish connection. My kh is almost 0. Really. I add buffer at each water change and am having no problem with my ph dropping.

I am thinking you should check out "Buff it Up" from goldfish connection. My kh is almost 0. Really. I add buffer at each water change and am having no problem with my ph dropping.

Hi Jody,I just added Buff It Up to my 2 tanks and pond today because I started using r/o water and all those params got low here too. I'll be happy to get back to you w/ the results,should you want to go that route :exactly

Hey Jody,I have not checked my h2o yet today-but I will. I just wanted to let you know that if your lfs doesn't have BIU-you ca get GFC to quick ship it-it does cost ALOT-but it's an option!

I am looking into closer sources for me as I am in Eastern Canada and finding specialty products can be challenging. I have MOPS and Big Al's on line that are more convenient but I see so many products, anyone recommend any from them? All the independent LFS in my area are out of business because of Pets Unlimited, limited choices there, lol. I am out of town right now but I am going to check there tomorrow anyway. I'll let ya know what I find. I may be forced to buy on line.

• 3 weeks later...