Sign in to follow this  
Guest tiffhere

Fish Floating On Side At Bottom Of Tank - Help!

Guest tiffhere

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 5 (this was just 40 when i checked it yesterday...should I beconcerned about the big drop?)

PH: around 7.2

Test Kit: API Freshwater Master Kit - Drops

Water Temp: 80! (Had been using a strip on the side which was saying 78 - but just bought digital and it's reading 80.5 - YIKES!)

5 gallon tank: Running for 2.5 years. (I know this is too small...can't get larger tank until move to bigger apartment)

Filter: Whisper filter that came with tank - use Tetra Bio-bag filter cartridges..?

Water change: I change water once a week - about 75% water change using a gravel vaccuum.

Fish: One common goldfish and one snail. Fish is about 5 inches long - normally very happy and active.

Water Conditioner: Tetra AquaSafe

Food: Tetra crisps, freeze dried brine shrimp, various frozen green stuff and brine shrimp, peas/greens (not all at once, obviously)

Unusual Findings: About 6 months ago I noticed his fins were frayed and he had lost scales, but his fins have since grown back. He is missing scales though.

Fish is staying at the bottom, can't swim straight, floating to the left.

Help!

I have one common goldfish. Named Fish. (creative, i know) He's in a 5 gallon tank ( i know this is too small, but have no room until i move to new apartment for bigger one). He's been ridiculously happy and active until about 4 days ago.

He (or she...?) started swimming kind of weird. I thought maybe it was a digestion thing and have been feeding peas. He was going up to the top for them 2 days ago. He would go from swimming around totally fine - sometimes a little spastic - to staying at the bottom totally still for about 20 minutes. Back and forth for about 2 days. but yesterday lost some interest in trying to go to the top for food and waited for them to come to the ground.a Last night I came home and he could barely swim. He tries, but just sort of floats weird around the bottom - always leaning arches on his side. Poor thing. He's body is bent a little in a SLIGHT C.

His fins don't look clamped to me. Some time his top fin look flattened, but usually it looks totally normal. Right now he's hiding under the water filter - pinning himself there so he doesn't float around : (

I noticed on dark spot on his tail. But no white spots or anything like that.

Also, I had a stick-on thermometer strip on my tank that said 78. I was at the Pet Co and the guy said i needed to test with a digital one. He also said that the water needs to be below 76 degrees. The digital thermometer is reading 80.5!!! Our apartment is getting warmer because we are right above the buildings broiler (NYC apartment) and my boyfriend is worried that the tank is being really sensitive to that and that's why FIsh is sick.

Any help is much appreciated! Poor fishy...

:ill

thanks, tiff

Guest tiffhere

oh no, he's now totally flipping upside down when he tries to swim. Doing occasional somersaults...

Sorry to hear about your troubles :)

I am no expert so I will not give any advise...So please hang in there till someone with more knowledge can help...Goldfish are coldwater fish and your tank appears to be quite warm,not sure if thats an issue,But I use the inside of the tank thermomitors because there more accurate to the temp inside the tank, I think the stick on outside one's read the temp outside better (LOL)

The big nitrate drop would concern me,but again I am not an expert...I hope your fishy starts feeling better soon!!! :)

Guest tiffhere

Sorry to hear about your troubles :)

I am no expert so I will not give any advise...So please hang in there till someone with more knowledge can help...Goldfish are coldwater fish and your tank appears to be quite warm,not sure if thats an issue,But I use the inside of the tank thermomitors because there more accurate to the temp inside the tank, I think the stick on outside one's read the temp outside better (LOL)

The big nitrate drop would concern me,but again I am not an expert...I hope your fishy starts feeling better soon!!! :)

Thanks shellbell - Sadly, I think Fish is on his way out. Lethargic at the bottom of the tank (Down to 79 degrees now, but still too high). Just floating on bottom with his gills barely moving in an arch shape, and every once in awhile he jerks around trying to swim (like he's saved up all his energy) but just gets floated all around the tank awkwardly. It's really sad and making me cry a little :(

Thanks for your kind words though : )

Bump. I hope the fish hangs in there until someone helps you. Maybe try a water change. Sometimes a water change can help your fish. Hope someone comes on here soon to help you. :unsure:

Guest tiffhere

Bump. I hope the fish hangs in there until someone helps you. Maybe try a water change. Sometimes a water change can help your fish. Hope someone comes on here soon to help you. :unsure:

Thanks - did a large water change last night - and a small one today. No real change with Fish though :(

It kinda sounds like ammonia poisoning. How old is your testing kit?? How old is this fish and have you done anything different lately?

Guest tiffhere

It kinda sounds like ammonia poisoning. How old is your testing kit?? How old is this fish and have you done anything different lately?

Hmmmm I just got the kit about 3 months ago, and haven't done anything different - keep wracking my brain to think about what could have brought it on but can't figure it out - just tested water again and ammonia is at zero still (even stuck the vile way to the bottom of the tank). Fish is totally limp and barely moves at all when I cradle him in my hand.

I've had Fish for 3.5 years - I got him from some kids who had to get rid of their fish - he was about 2.5/3" long when I took him. I'm guessing he's 5 or 6?

So sorry to hear Fish isn't doing well :heart Do you have a digital camera that you can take photos with and post here? I'm not a mod or helper either,so won't offer advice,but I know photos help alot when you post them.The best of luck to you and Fish :heart Keep us posted.......

I've never personally seen dropsy before, so I don't know for sure, but don't fish form a "C" shape with their bodies (like tifhere's is doing) when they have it?

How's your Fishy doing this morning?I think continuing with w/c's cant hurt at this point :)

Is he missing any scales? Does he look thinner at all? Does he seem to have any lesions (sores) on his body? Has he lost any colour? I'm not an expert by any means but the C curve (and any of the symptoms listed) could point to fish TB. It may not be (let's hope not) but make sure you don't have any cuts or scrapes on any part of your body that contacts the fish or his water, fish to human transference is rare, but we'd all rather you be safe than sorry.

Guest tiffhere

Hey guys - Fish didn't make it through the night. When I woke up he was gone :( Thanks for your suggestions - I hope I can take better care of my next goldy so he is healthy all the way from the beginning

Ahhhhhhh,I'm so sorry Tiff :heart I know it's hard to lose a baby,but please don't beat up on yourself-sometimes we just cannot save them,despite exhaustive measures :hug You'll get another baby when you're ready to,and he/she will have a good home with you :goldfish: It breaks my heart when I lose a fish,and my experience has come with some painful experiences-keep the faith :heart