Sign in to follow this  
Prejudiced

Black Parasite In Gills?

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[0]Ammonia Level?

[0]Nitrite Level?

[0]Nitrate level?

A note about my A and N levels, I use strips, hence they are not too accurate. The colour is hitting 0, but that is only a guide.

[7]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[7]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[strips]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[20*C]Water temperature?

[10Gal quarantine tank, with cycled HOB filter ]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[HOB x10 filtration]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[50% a week]How often do you change the water and how much?

[1, 1 inch]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[Wardleys water conditioner]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[Twice a day, gel food]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[He is in quarantine.]Any new fish added to the tank?

[Melafix]Any medications added to the tank?

[black long worm type creature attached to gill filaments]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[Flashing and Gasping for air]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Hello guys. Emergency here.

I have a new calico telescope in QT. As per my usual procedure he has had a prazi treatment to knock any flukes/worms out. He has been in QT for a week now.

Today I noticed him air gasping despite adequate oxygen in the water (Massive surface area, supplemented by air pumps) a quick check of his gills showed their is a black string like SOMETHING in the left gill. All else is normal. Their is some bleeding. This is affecting his breathing and oxygen uptake, and he's not looking too good. I'm worried he's going to suffocate.

Their is currently melafix in the water as well as a trace amount of prazi may still remain from treatment (water changes may not have removed it all, and I don't know how long it remains in the water). In case these may clash with any medications recommended.

I think the thing in the gill may be a parasite of some sort. I cannot get a photo, as it takes two hands to hold the fish and look in the gill, I can't also hold a camera. I'll try to describe it. It's black/dark with a wider 'head' buried into the gills and a short tail following it. I would say it is half a cm long.

I'm really sorry to jump on here and bug you guys, but he does not seem to be getting enough oxygen. I'm afraid it will kill him quickly.

Hoping to hear back. Thanks so much!

Amber I am so sorry for your loss :( Have you contacted the seller about this?perhaps you can get a replacement?

So sorry Amber. :(

I've never heard of this and I would most definitely take a photo and contact the seller.

Did this fish come from a pond? Its possible that was a gill maggot or baby leech. These are not killed with prazi or salt and need to be treated the same way as you would for anchorworm/lice with organophosphate type meds.

Im sorry about your fish. I would look at treating the whole tank in case there are larvae.