Sign in to follow this  
NatalieD

Percy Is Bottom Sitting

[0ppm] Ammonia Level

[0ppm] Nitrite Level?

[10pm] Nitrate level?

[7.6] Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*] Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[API test drops] Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[18oC / 64oF] Water temperature?

[60 litres - 6 months] Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[Fluval 3 +] What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[weekly - 20litres (1/3 of tank)] How often do you change the water and how much?

[1, 2 inches excl tail] How many fish in the tank and their size?

[declorinator] What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[bloodworm pellets, peas, TetraFin gold pellets - two pellets twice daily, pea once in the evening] What do you feed your fish and how often?

[No] Any new fish added to the tank?

[No] Any medications added to the tank?

[Left pectoral is clamped] Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[bottom sitting and not eating] Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Hey guys,

It's been a while since i've had to visit Koko's but I've just woken up this morning and Percy is sitting on the bottom. I noticed yesterday that his left pectoral fin was clamped but he would use it occasionally to reposition himself. He seemed pretty happy yesterday despite his fin being clamped. I put my hand in the tank to try and get him to swim this morning and he will if needed but as soon as i remove my hand he just goings back to resting at the bottom. I tried to get him to eat a bloodworm pellet but he wasnt interested so I'm going to try feeding him a pea, he usually loves them so that will really be a test of if he's off his food.

What do you reccommend? The fin looks fine, no trauma, and other than that I cant see anything visibly wrong. Should I start salt? If so can I have some instruction on how to do so as i've never salted before. Water params look good to me so I'm a bit stumped. Should i change his water anyway?

Thanks for your help everyone :)

Nope he doesnt want to take the pea. I dont know if this means anything either but the inside of his mouth looks a little frayed. There was a little white stringy looking thing coming out of his mouth when he breathes in an out heavily. I dont think it is a worm, it defiantly looks more fleshy, but its quite small. The only way i can think to describe it is the equivilent of when the skin on your lips peels, but again it looks more stringy.

Nope he doesnt want to take the pea. I dont know if this means anything either but the inside of his mouth looks a little frayed. There was a little white stringy looking thing coming out of his mouth when he breathes in an out heavily. I dont think it is a worm, it defiantly looks more fleshy, but its quite small. The only way i can think to describe it is the equivilent of when the skin on your lips peels, but again it looks more stringy.

I'm not an expert, I just found your post doing a search on this site...I noticed similar symptoms on my goldfish and as far as I could determine, it was a fluke infestation from some new plants I bought on ebay overseas. My water seemed to test fine. Unfortunately, my poor fish died within 24 hrs. of the symptoms. But I started using prazipro for flukes, increased my water temp to 75, added salt, and my other 3 goldfish are o.k. so far. Best wishes to you.

Well I've come back from work today and done a 25 litre change (Nearly 50%) and he's still the same, perhaps slightly better. He's been swimming for a bit but then usually drops down again. He doesnt seem to have much awareness of where he is, for instance he often bumps into the tank walls or swims into plants, and when he lands on the bottom again its often more of a crash landing than a carefull placement. Maybe he's just a little lathargic and a bit hazy. When he is swimming however he looks a lot better in himself, he is using his left pectoral a little more than at the beginning of the day. My hopes are that he's spent the day resting his fin to try and heal it, whatever he did to it i'll never know!

I think if the problem i'm seeing is purely external (ie hurt fin and nothing more) he will be fine but i'm just a little worried that the fin clamp and bottom sitting is the result of a more serious internal problem, but there's no way of telling for sure at this stage right?

In the mean time is there anything you recommend? Should I try bringing his temperature up? Salting? Water changes every day? Any advice at all would be appreciated.

As for what i saw in his mouth earlier I'm pretty sure thats gone. He may have just cut his mouth from chewing on the gravel or something. He seems ok in that aspect anyway.

I'll let you know how he is tomorrrow morning anyway, fingers crossed we have a good night ahead of us.

Hey everyone,

Percy got through the night but is still the same this evening (ive just got back from work). He's made no progress though, still sitting on the bottom not moving for long periods of time. What should i do?

Sorry to nag but i've not had any moderators show any interest in Percy this time round. Could the fact that he's lathargic have something to do with the temperature of the water?

Ive put his heater back in tank to try and warm the water up a little but i still have no idea really how to tackle this. I'm getting a little worried that he's been sat on gravel for 2 days, fish can get sores if theyre bottom sitting for prolonged periods of time is this right?

Also he is still not eating. He's had nothing for 2 days, does anymore have any recommendations as to what i should attempt to feed him? If anything? Will he be ok without any food for more than 2 days? I dont have any medicated food, should i get some?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please help us out! :(

Hi there! Sorry to hear Percy is feeling poorly. Try increasing the temperature gradually, one or two degrees an hour, try to raise to to around 70 F (sorry we silly Americans can't figure out Celsius :) ). He will be fine without food for a while, it is concerning that he isn't interested in eating. Try feeding him a pea again, remember to pop it out of the shell and feed him the soft part, he might be constipated sometimes constipated fish can swim strangely. What kind of food are you feeding him?

If he did damage his fin just keep him in clean water at a stable temp and he should heal up just fine on his own.

Have you treated him for Flukes with Prazi? Is he gasping for air at all? Are his gills working hard?

Hi there! Sorry to hear Percy is feeling poorly. Try increasing the temperature gradually, one or two degrees an hour, try to raise to to around 70 F (sorry we silly Americans can't figure out Celsius :) ). He will be fine without food for a while, it is concerning that he isn't interested in eating. Try feeding him a pea again, remember to pop it out of the shell and feed him the soft part, he might be constipated sometimes constipated fish can swim strangely. What kind of food are you feeding him?

If he did damage his fin just keep him in clean water at a stable temp and he should heal up just fine on his own.

Have you treated him for Flukes with Prazi? Is he gasping for air at all? Are his gills working hard?

Thanks for the reply!

I'm currently increasing his temperature with a heater.

I've just tried to get him to move and put my hand in the water and i practically had to lift him off the gravel. He didnt seem bothered by my hand and would usually never let me touch him. He floated back down to the gravel then almost fell onto his side. He's definatly getting worse and im really worried about him.

We did a big water change yestersay so his water is clean. There have been no big changes in the way we're treating him (ie food, water changes etc.)

We dont have prazi in the UK and dont have access to it either. What is flukes? What are the symptoms?

Oh, that's right I forgot about Prazi and the UK sorry! Flukes are a parasite that every fish has, here's a link Koko on Flukes

What about his poop? Have you seen him poop? What color is it? Are there any bubbles in it? Is it long and stringy?

I havnt seen him poop since he's been having trouble, but thats probably because he's not been eating.

A couple of days before that though he was very floaty and his poop did have bubbles in it, but ive had this problem with him for as long as i have had him. He has always gulped air at the surface and then been floaty and his poop has bubbles in it so i didnt think it was anything out of the ordinary.

Well, Percy died some time durnig the night. I'm thinking it was definatly an internal infection as his tummy was really soft and going a bit seethrough were his scales had started to separate from the swelling.

Maceo, thank you very much for your input, I cant help but think that if i had known what this was sooner I may have been able to save him as I started treating for flukes last night, guess we were just too late...

R.I.P my lovely Percyfish :cry1

So sorry you lost him. :rip: Percy. You did all you could for him, do not beat yourself up over it, we've all lost fish, and we learn from it and use our new knowledge to give another goldie a great life. :heart