What Other Salt Can I Use

pootwilson

hello

i just got my new goldfish today i am so excited(pics will come soon lol)anyway before i add them to the tank i always like to give them salt dips just to make sure they dont bring anything home (i dont have any gf before today so i dont need to quarentine, i just got back into goldfish i miss them so much)

anyway i was at 2 petstore and forgot to get aquarium salt

i know there are a few other kinds you can use but i cannot remember what they are

also is marine salt ok to use for salt baths? i have that b/ of my brackish tank so if it is that would be great lol

thanks

also i dont really have to do a salt bath i guess i just like to to make sure they are not bringing anything nasty home(i cant actually see anything though)

thanks

I use sea salt from the grocery store myself, but you can also use pickling salt or kosher salt. The important thing is to look at the ingredients and make sure there is NOTHING else on there except for "SALT". I don't think using marine salt is a good idea, at least the stuff they sell for the tanks, because I think they put other stuff in there.

I'd give him a salt bath just to be on the safe side! :) So happy you got back into fish, cn't wait for those pics!!!

ok i will run down to the gorcery store and pick up some pickling or kosher salt

i have still had fish but i just got back into goldfish

i used to have 2 i really loved and spoiled rotten and we went on vacation one year and our power went out for a week and i lost them b/c i wasnt home to do anything about it :(

so i just figured i wouldnt get back into goldies for a while and now i have decided i am ready to

i am so excited and i think i picked out some beauties lol

ill post pics as soon as i get them in the tank and get a tank shot too

i didnt figure marine salt would be ok but i thought i waould ask anyway lol

thanks

and yes i did make sure of that

the first store i went to didnt have anything with out the anti caking so i had to go the entire way into town(still not as far as the petstore though lol) oh the things we do for our fish

The iodine content will not be an issue but yellow prussiate can be if your tank is exposed under sunlight as it has been found to generate hydrogen cyanide when in contact with sunlight and hydrogen cyanide is a dangerous substance for the fish.