Sign in to follow this  
mkjksk@core.com

Please Help, Nemo Died Today

Is there any chance it's on page 1? or page 2 if you're looking at page 1...

Unfortunately I can't see missing responses :D

O.k. I have another question!

:help1 I feel like I'm in over my head sometimes!

Is there any difference between stones/gravel in the bottom of the canister filter for a biological element as compared to those ceramic pieces selling for $20/box? And how much of it would I use in ratio to the charcoal bits to go in the same area? I was thinking of putting the charcoal in one of those nylon bags, to make cleanup easier. But if I put a sponge in there too, is that too much bio stuff? I was also going to put a sponge sleeve around the outside. What would work better, a sponge on the outside, or on the inside of a canister filter? I've seen some filter models sold in both designs and wondered what you guys have better luck with?

I really want to get this all situated so I can just relax and enjoy my fish! Looking at my tank :donthit: is stressful and expensive instead of enjoyable right now, I know it's from inexperience though! I still have a bottom-sitter in my tank who's depending on me to get it right!

Is there any chance it's on page 1? or page 2 if you're looking at page 1...

Unfortunately I can't see missing responses :D

:pan I didn't see the page 1 - 2 option at the bottom without my glasses

sorry about that!

I think the only difference between the pebbles/gravel and ceramic tubes is the surface area for potential bacteria to grow on, personally I have gravel because I'm a student and therefore a cheapskate :D You can NEVER have too much biostuff. I'm not a filter expert but I can show you what I have, I literally squash gravel into all the spaces and squish the sponge down to make more room. Apologies for the gunk, this filter is due a clean out!

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt293/taperecorders/034.jpg

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt293/taperecorders/036.jpg

When I got it this filter just had the green sponge in it and there was carbon in the sponge which i replaced with gravel.

Hope this helps! Maybe other people could post pics of what they've done with their filters? As I've said, I'm no expert but mine seems to work fine! I have three sponge/gravel filters because I started too small and haven't yet been able afford one big HOB one (maybe for xmas???) to get to the required flow-through

Honestly ceramic rings (they actually look like hollow tubes) are going to be your best bet for adding biological filtration to your filter. They allow for way more crevices and surface area for beneficial bacteria to adhere to than gravel and also they can be boiled if need be in case of disease or something. In my opinion gravel just isn't a good long term home for beneficial bacteria. The ceramic rings are expensive but last forever and can be used to seed other tanks in the future.

There also is NOT any need for you to use charcoal in your filter unless you are specifically trying to remove meds from your tank. The beneficial bacteria are your filtering agents not the charcoal which really only stays active for a short time.

The 'gravel' I use is actually meant for filters, rather than being the stuff you put on the bottom of the tank, it's very matte and rough rather than being tumbled and smooth, this probably gives it more surface area though it may not be as good as the tubes/rings. I also don't see any reason why you couldn't boil it if you wanted to :)

The 'gravel' I use is actually meant for filters, rather than being the stuff you put on the bottom of the tank, it's very matte and rough rather than being tumbled and smooth, this probably gives it more surface area though it may not be as good as the tubes/rings. I also don't see any reason why you couldn't boil it if you wanted to :)

Thank you guys for all your advice, :flowers I think I'm getting the hang of this. I love all the ideas for biological materials. Especially anything that saves money! I'm a stay-home mom with a toddler and only started this hobby because I got a great deal on a huge used tank w/filter.

I'm still doing prazipro and water changes every other day, and my fish so far are acting o.k. Do you think I should continue the treatment an extra 5 days because I had the carbon in during the first couple days?

So should I use carbon just after the prazipro treatment is done to get rid of any remaining chemicals or no?

I was also wondering if I covered my gravel with bigger rocks to avoid choking hazards, now that my large fish's mouth is getting bigger, would it breed too much bacteria to leave the little stones underneath? Would I have to move the big rocks every week and syphon the gravel underneath or could I just clean the top layer? (I was thinking of getting river rock) I don't want to unknowingly breed disease.

Sorry again for all the questions!

Edited by nemosmom

The 'gravel' I use is actually meant for filters, rather than being the stuff you put on the bottom of the tank, it's very matte and rough rather than being tumbled and smooth, this probably gives it more surface area though it may not be as good as the tubes/rings. I also don't see any reason why you couldn't boil it if you wanted to smile.gif

Thank you guys for all your advice, Flowers.gif I think I'm getting the hang of this. I love all the ideas for biological materials. Especially anything that saves money! I'm a stay-home mom with a toddler and only started this hobby because I got a great deal on a huge used tank w/filter.

I'm still doing prazipro and water changes every other day, and my fish so far are acting o.k. Do you think I should continue the treatment an extra 5 days because I had the carbon in during the first couple days?

So should I use carbon just after the prazipro treatment is done to get rid of any remaining chemicals or no?

I was also wondering if I covered my gravel with bigger rocks to avoid choking hazards, now that my large fish's mouth is getting bigger, would it breed too much bacteria to leave the little stones underneath? Would I have to move the big rocks every week and syphon the gravel underneath or could I just clean the top layer? (I was thinking of getting river rock) I don't want to unknowingly breed disease.

Sorry again for all the questions!

I would only do the Prazi as long as the directions say. It won't harm the fish, but it unnecessary to use it longer and you may need it some other time.

And you would definitely have to clean the gravel under the rocks. Thats essential. Bad nasties sit and fester in the gravel that can make your fish ill and cause bacterial infections. Cleaning just the top layer would be like using a broom instead of a vacuum on a filthy rug.

The thing is this. The tank is your fish's environment. Whats in the water is what they breathe and live in. All of the leftover food and poo goes straight to the bottom and sits there and decays if you don't siphon it out.

The main rule I learned here at Koko's is if you take care of the water, it will take care of the fish. The water in their tanks is like the air we breathe and live in and nothing is better for them than a clean environment! smile.gif

You are really doing awesome and its great to see you have a natural talent for fish!

Hi,

I appreciate all the support and help so far, thank you!

I will be done with the prazi treatment soon but noticed the past 2 days that Marlin is freefloating a lot in the tank, for about a minute, and then will let out a huge yawn and shake or "flash" for a couple seconds. Does this mean he has gotten the flukes in his gills if the treatment isn't working? Or should I try something else? This is what Nemo was doing before he died. But when you go near the tank he perks up. All the other fish are acting o.k.

Hi Nemosmom, since you're treating your fish now and are over the initial emergency I moved this to Diagnosis and Discussion.