Golden Inca Snail

amynmitchell

My friend has a little 2 gallon tank that had one snail and one guppy. The guppy passed on and she wanted to know if I would like her snail for my tank. Are these guys plant eaters (my tank is planted)? Safe from being eaten by my goldies? Rough on acrylic tanks (I hear some can leave a haze)? I think these guys can't reproduce on their own...is that true?

If I do decide to take it is there a QT period I should do?

Is this Pomacea canaliculata? Canas are voracious plant eaters. If you like the ones that will not eat plants, choose Pomacea diffusa. I do not think her snail may pose a hazard to your fish if it had been without fish for company for a long time. Flukes are about the most common problem between snails and goldfish but if your friend's tank had no history of health issues, I'd certainly plop him right in with the goldfish. He'll be fine with them. Apple snails are very much compatible with goldfish particularly adults.

All apple snails are sexual so they cannot reproduce without a mate. Even if they lay eggs and have never been copulated by a male, the eggs will never hatch. A single mating however can garner several fertile egg clutches for a few months. After that, they lose their fertility unless they copulate with a male again.

Edited by Lupin

This snail has never laid eggs in her tank and if I didn't misunderstand her she has had this snail for quite a few years. It is small, maybe dime sized, yellowish, and the shell looks flater than many of the apple snails I've seen. She has seen it on her plants, but it doesn't seem to do much but move across the algae on them.

Does this type of snail ring a bell, Lupin? I can see if I can get her to take a picture, too.

Were the plants in that tank real? I'm wondering if it is one of those 'pest snails' that sometimes hitch rides when you buy plants.

Can't wait to see a pic tho. :)

She does have plants and I'm sure that is where this guy came from but she said she has had him for ten years (he has lived with three different AD frogs and has outlived all three of them). He has never laid any eggs and there have never been any other snails. He is about the size of a dime and has never grown.

I'm still waiting for her to take a picture. This is one unusual snail it seems like!