Nitrit In My Fry Tank, Help.

Guest pond-fry

Guest pond-fry

Hi.

I had a dead baby this morning. And a bit later another started floading upside down.

So I did a large WC. But I was still worried, and my test set still didnt arrive! So I took a water sample to my fish shop, and he tested it 0,2 nitrit! I came home and did another 50% WC and tested it again. I bought a liquid nirtit test set. Now its 0,1.

Ive added some Tetra Bactozym.

Can I do another 50% WC? How much can these guys take. I know I have to do WC over some days to get this down, but wouldnt it be better to get these nitrits out of there?

Thanks in advance. (fry are 3 and 5 weeks... now 14 of them as the teeny one is still holiding on.

Guest Brian T

I'd do daily water changes of 50% and use Prime as your water conditioner. Other than that I'm not aware of much more you can do. Somebody else might have a better suggestion.

I had a lot of problems with my first fry tank. I had nitrites because I changed too much water, there were no cycling. I didn't know anything back then, but fry started to die and I felt a strange smell from the tank.

I changed some water every day, because I thought that was right.

I saved the fry by putting them in a fry net in the grown fishies tank.

But it is difficult to get rid of nitrites. Here in Sweden we have Nitrigon and Nitrivec to put in the water, I know it works.

Are your fry tank cycled?

I have been through this many times.

Guest pond-fry

Thanks Brian, and thanks Annette.

No, my tank isnt cycled yet. Its been running for 2? weeks.

I cant do anything but changing the water as else it will kill them. I cant put them in with the parents, cuz theyre out in the pond, and its way too cold.

I had a strange smell from the tank too.

I got the nitrites down to 0,05ppm(mg/l) last night by doing another two WCs.

Im trying to feed them less, but its a hard choice as I know they need their food too.

I had to put teeny weeny down last night as hed been struggling so hard all day.

I asked at the fish shop if I could seed the sponge filter with my filter from the pond, but he says the bbs die when its this cold.

So I really cant think of anything else but WCs :(

Thanks again, Annette :-)

Thanks Brian, and thanks Annette.

No, my tank isnt cycled yet. Its been running for 2? weeks.

I cant do anything but changing the water as else it will kill them. I cant put them in with the parents, cuz theyre out in the pond, and its way too cold.

I had a strange smell from the tank too.

I got the nitrites down to 0,05ppm(mg/l) last night by doing another two WCs.

Im trying to feed them less, but its a hard choice as I know they need their food too.

I had to put teeny weeny down last night as hed been struggling so hard all day.

I asked at the fish shop if I could seed the sponge filter with my filter from the pond, but he says the bbs die when its this cold.

So I really cant think of anything else but WCs sad.gif

Thanks again, Annette :-)

Well, I'm sorry you can't get bbs from somewhere.

I wish you and your little ones good luck.

I know how fascinating it is to raise fry!

Guest pond-fry

Thanks again Annette.

I just finished the WC and vacuuming, I did a 75%. Just tested it again, and nitrites are down to 0,03ppm. So Im getting really close to the green OK area now :)

Ive fed them much less than usually, but they still seem capable of finding the food around the place, so maybe things will turn out ok after all.

All 13 seem ok. One medium one is acting slightly funny. Now and then he chases all over the place. But its hard to say if its something to worry about, as theyve begun to hunt and kill their food :lol1

I feel a bit more relaxed now :)