Sign in to follow this  
devilduck

Problems Since Water Change...

[*]Ammonia Level? 0ppm

[*]Nitrite Level? 0ppm

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? drops, can't remember the brand off the top of my head (I'm at work so can't check!)

[*]Water temperature? again, can't check, but not cold, not warm either but not freezing - that kind of skin-temp cold (hope someone knows what I mean!!!)

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 23 US gallons, been running about 5-6 months, but was moved to a new place about 2-3 months ago, did a 100% water change last week

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? 11x filtration, I have three sponge filters of various sizes with some gravel-type filter media in layers between the sponge, also one 4 inch airstone

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? usually 50-60% once a week

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 redcap (1 1/2" + tail), 1 fantail (2" + tail), 2 hillstream loaches (1 1" each)

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Kusuri dechlorinator (I think!)

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Saki-Hikari, one medium pinch once a day, occasional spirulina tablets, veg

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Bottom sitting, listless

I did a 40% water change last night and immediately after Tigger was very skitty, she does that sometimes so I thought it was down to the filters being off and water being poured in the top, she's a bit of a drama queen sometimes and doesn't like change, but this morning she was sitting on the bottom and hardly moving, so I did another 50% water change this morning and tested the ammonia and nitrite - both zero. I think the problem might be pH based as it's only since the water change but I don't have a test kit. My bf says the fish are still bottom sitting so I'm going to go buy a test kit after work but is there anything else I need to get incase the pH is off? Or any safe medications I could add? I'm going away tomorrow until Monday and would like to get this sorted before I go and I won't have another chance to get to the pet shop. They sell Melafix but I've never used it and don't really know if it works as a generic 'fix me' and I still have some Wormer Plus but it's about 3 months old now, is it worth giving that a go or just doing another water change tonight and tomorrow morning and hoping? I'm also going to get another bubble wall/airstone incase the problem is oxygen...

Caesar is also hiding (under Tigger's tail usually) but he's such a sociable fish that he tends to follow other fish's moods...when Tux was sick with worms Caesar would go sit with him despite not showing signs like weight lost and split tails like Tux was and when Tigger starts crazily dashing around he follows her, and he gets really shy if he has to be by himself any amount of time, but he's usually pretty bombproof, not bothered by water changes or anything, so it's hard to tell by their moods. One fish is a drama-queen and the other is a sidekick...

I'm sorry to hear that your fishies are not feeling well. I'm thinking it could be a pH difference or temperature difference when you did your water change.

Does anyone have redness that is not normally there in the tails or fins?

Sorry I can't be of very much help, but I am sure someone will be along soon that will be able to crack this case.

I got the temperature as close as I could, and I add it by the pint glass as I always spill it so it's not like a whole bucket gets tipped in in one go...

There's no marks on Caesar (as he's almost completely white he's easier to spot them on) and Tiggers such a patchwork of orange and black all over it's very hard to tell but I haven't seen anything.

Wow! 23 gallons added a pint at a time? That's a lot of legwork! Have you ever looked in to getting a Python for your water changes?

When I do 100% changes, which isn't often, I just tip it in by the bucket as the fish aren't in there, and 50% changes I have a bucket of water by the tank so it's just a case of scooping...I did it in 20 mins at 0630 this morning emptying and refilling so it's not too bad, I'm seriously looking into getting a python, but there's always been a money issue as a student, I'm on a gap year at the moment and get paid next week so I might buy one if I can't talk my bf into buying me one for xmas. 'I won't flood the kitchen every week if you buy me one!' The tank is in the same room as the sink at least...

Having a sink in close proximity to the tank comes in very handy indeed. The Python is a little pricey, but I think it makes a world of difference (especially when it comes to refill time). Some members have made their own Pythons, I think the threads are in the DIY area. Not too hard, and can be a pretty fun project. If I had ran across the DIY thread before I actually purchased mine, I would have made my own.

I've just spoken to my bf again and he says the fish are swimming around, not as much as usual but they are following him around the tank so that's some improvement at least! I think I will get a pH test anyway and see if that was the problem but it sounds like they are improving on their own already. I left their light off today as well in the hope it would help decrease the stress.

Is there any chance that you forgot to dechlorinate the water?

I did think of that this morning, if I did it would have been one bucket in 5, and I have pond dechlorinator so there's always slightly more in there than needed (high conc), I add it to the bucket each time I fill it up, and I definitely didn't forget this morning. It's a possibility but I think there should have been enough overall to counter one undechlorinated bucket...

At least we're ruling things out. PH does seem the most likely then, or maybe the city was flushing the water lines this morning where you're at?

I've just done a pH test, but the kit only goes up to 7.6 (blue) and it's showing a darker blue than the 7.6 marker so I think it's alkaline but I don't know how much...

I got a nitrates test kit and that's showing 5ppm so that's not the issue.

I'm gonna try adding another airstone but unless it's pH I don't know what else I can do...is it worth me getting some API pH 7.5 solution or pH down?

For a quick fix you can use baking soda to get pH down, and for a more long term solution go with a natural buffer in your filtration system: crushed coral.

I know we have baking soda, how much do I need to add?

I'm doing another water change, but they're so skitty! They just sit really still or skoot around the bottom at high speed if you move too suddenly near them. There's no fin clamping or anything, they're just really really nervous or something...I'm going away for the weekend tomorrow and I really don't know what to do!

Baking soda ups PH, since it's basic, you'd be better off just leaving the PH alone, a high PH isn't that bad, mine is at 8.2 and my fish do fine in it. You'll just have to let them adjust if it is the problem, trying to bring it down will just stress them out more.

How is it going DD?

Did you get things sorted? Just in the future, suggestion check ph out of tap prior to and after water changes. I learned the hard way. :)

I'm back tomorrow to check on them, I checked the tap pH before I left and it was the same colour as the tank water, the problem is I don't know how it was before...I'm just hoping they've sorted themselves out in my absence, updates tomorrow! I might also get a high pH test kit though I've only seen them in the master test kits and they're ?30 a hit and I have everything else...hopefully the internet can help!

When you get back later check the tank ph again. Just want to make sure it isn't dropping! That is all! :heart

Unfortunately swine flu has hit my house so I'm at my parents house for the week instead of the weekend, my parents don't want me going back and then coming down with it and being by myself in the house. Just hoping the fishies are ok! Unfortunately noone near my house has a key and it's a 5 hour drive so I can't just pop in...