Sign in to follow this  
Guest Trout

Best Quietest Filter

Guest Trout

I'm looking into getting a 55 gallon long aquarium with 3 Redcap Orandas, that's the biggest I can afford space-wise.

Couple filter questions:

1. What's the quietest filter?

I live in a VERY noise sensitive family, we even have a Bosch dishwasher 'cause of noise being a problem! (I have slight Tinnitus and so does another family member.) We don't run the washer or dryer at night unless we have to, and even then we close the laundry door to try to block out the noise.

2. Is it best to buy a filter new, or is a secondhand one okay?

I've been told to never buy one secondhand because you never know if it works or not until after you buy it.

3. How big a filter should I get? I know the general rule of thumb is to buy one twice the size of your tank, but do I need more than that?

Thanks in advance!

Congrats on the possibility of getting a big tank! My largest right now is a 30 gallon, but I hope to one day upgrade to around a 90. >.>

For a tank of that size, I would go with a canister filter for sure. I have both an Eheim and a Rena, and each has it's own pros and cons. If I were to buy another new filter today, I would probably go with another Eheim. Canisters are costly to get and set up, but they are well worth it in the end. My canisters are very quiet, you can hardly hear a thing unless air gets trapped in there.

A secondhand filter is just fine, make sure it works and disinfect it really well. My Ehiem was used, and when it arrived I hooked everything up in the kitchen sink and ran a bleach solution thru it for about an hour, then swapped to fresh water, then dechlorinated. I've never had a problem.

For a goldfish tank, you need 10x the size of your tank for filtration. In the case of a 55 gallon, you will need to get a filter (or filters) that will pull at least 550 gallons per hour. It is fine to couple a canister and a HOB, or even a pair of canisters.

Hope that helped out a bit. :)

I totally agree with Michelle -- canisters rock! I used to have a pair of Fluval 404s that were so quiet I had to put my hand on them to see if they were working. Right now, I have a pair of Filstar XP1s on my 46 gallon, and they're pretty darn quiet too.

I have a HOB filter on the tank in my bedroom, and the noise from it drives me CRAZY. I'm thinking of getting a canister for that tank as well.

My Fluval FX5 is pretty quiet, it's in the same room that I sleep in and I don't have any problems going to sleep with it on. I did have a HOB filter on my tank and although it wasn't too noisy, it made enough noise to keep me up. If you're worried about noice I would get a canister or maybe some sort of internal filters. A HOB might be too noisy if it's in your bedroom. Although I am thinking about getting an AquaClear pretty soon :rolleyes:. We'll see how that goes.

Guest Trout

Eheim and Fluval seem like the two I've been hearing (and reading about on the board) the most. ;)

Guest Trout

Did a little research, and decided on an Eheim. :) I think from what Michelle said, the middle one is the best bet since the output is 1200-some odd gph's. Is that right? Or is the output not as important as the size (of aquarium) it's listed as supposed to be used for?

Would one of these work? All are Eheims. (Saw them on the vvvv site.)

Wet/Dry Filter

Model 2229

Aquarium Size 158 U.S. gal.

Pump Output 277 U.S. gal./h

Filter Circulation 145 U.S.gal./h

Delivery Head 5' 10" ft. wc

Filter Volume 1.93 U.S. gal.

Power Consumption 25 W

Approx. Dimensions 16" x 8" x 12"

Classic External Canister

Model 2117

Aquarium Size 159 U.S. gal.

Pump Output 1264 U.S. gal./h

Filter Circulation 209 U.S.gal./h

Delivery Head 7' 6 " ft. wc

Filter Volume 2 U.S. gal.

Power Consumption 20 W

Approx. Dimensions 8" x 16"

Tubes 1 x 16/22 mm

Tube Length 1.3 m

Professional II with Thermofilter for Freshwater

Model 2128

Aquarium Size Up to 158 U.S. Gallons

Pump Output 277 U.S. Gallons/Hour

Filter Circulation 198 U.S. Gallons/Hour

Delivery Head Approx. Wat. Col. 6 ft./7 in.

Filter Volume 1.9 U.S. Gallons

Power Consumption 25 W

Heating Power 210 W

Filter Height 17.9"

My Rena 3 is the quietest one in the house. I have to check it all the time to make sure it is still running.

Edited by Hidr

I have 2 Emporer 400's in my 75 and they are very quiet...my air pump (whisper) is louder than my filters:) You need 550 gph of filtration in your tank:)

I use an Eheim Ecco 2232 External Canister filter and it's so quiet (& awesome!) that I actually have to put my ear to it to hear it running.

Guest Trout

So in terms of the GPH, do I look at "output" or "circulation"?

GPH is the number of gallons per hour the unit can filter. Usually if you look at the back or side of the the box that the filter it will acutally say "gph" smile.gif

You could get an emporor 400 bio wheel (400 gph) and then a Penguin bio-wheel 150 (150 gph) and be right at 550

Edited by MrsMohr