Sign in to follow this  
Guest Trout

Craigslist Secondhand Prices

Guest Trout

Hi Guys,

I don't know much about secondhand aquaria pricing, but I live in a (very) expensive area of the US, to give you an idea, when I vacationed in La Jolla, CA it was actually cheaper on things like groceries and restaurant prices. A lot of people around here try to get a fortune for secondhand items, so that is a factor for me when considering something used.

Most of the 55 gallon glass tanks I was looking for were listed at $125 (and up) for just the tank. I found a couple of people who were willing to sell their tank to me for $35-$45. One tank looks to be in perfect condition, it's just that the guy has a lot of junk he wants to get rid of. Is that price range (in general) good for a glass tank with no leaks, cracks or chips?

Also, I found a guy with a lot of tanks a year or so ago, and he gave me three 10 gallon glass tanks, 2 of the 3 were in PERFECT condition after a good cleaning. Originally they were $10 each, but he was super nice and on his own knocked the price down to $3 each, so in total I paid $9 for three 10 gallon tanks. Was that a good deal too?

id say the last deal was great . and me id pay 35-45 for a used 55 gal . i figure as long as its cheaper than new and is as good as new its good . the thing is there will always be a better deal to come along . just compare the price for a new tank in your lfs to the used one . it should be at least 30-50 % of the price i would think . if it has been used . there is a neighbor hood around here that has a yearly yardsale , and the houses are what i would consider upper middle class . they really try to get way to much for their junk. most yardsales sell stuffed animals for like a quarter, my 2 yr old paid 3 bucks for a stuffed cat ! lol not that big of deal but i was like ????

I'd happily pay those prices for those used tanks. I think it was petsm@rt that used to run tanks for $1 a gallon. Not so much a good deal for 10 gallons or less, but a killer deal for the larger tanks. Does anyone know if they still have that sale?

For me, it depends on what comes WITH the tank. I'd be much more flexible on price if it came with a nice-looking stand, for example. Somebody's used filters don't excite me (I don't think I could ever get them clean enough to satisfy me), but throw in a full hood with fluorescent lights and I'm willing to shell out more than I would for just the aquarium.

When I've bought new, I've found that the tank itself is usually the least of my expenses -- it's things like a strip light and versa-top and stand that cost an arm and a leg.

Keep looking on Craigslist for a while. If you spend two weeks or so browsing the ad5, you'll notice that a lot of the ones that ask big $$$ for their aquariums will re-post and re-post, over and over again. Clearly they're not getting any takers at the prices they're asking. You can then swoop in and make an offer, and you might get lucky.

I got a lovely 46 gallon bowfront with black wood stand, hood and lights on Craigslist for $80, which was a total steal. Have faith -- it will happen for you too!

Edited by RanchuDressing

Guest Trout

Garmon-that's a funny little story. ;)

Lady D-I don't know, but sounds good to me! :exactly

Ranchu-Wow! Fantastic deal, especially with it being a bowfront. :Congrats:

I think I'll wait, Ranchu is right about things being posted and reposted in terms of aquaria stuff. I have emailed them in the past about different things (than aquaria), and they get snotty (or worse incensed) about it. :ignore The most a seller will come down is $10-$15 on things over $50 to about $300 (in my area). :doh11: It makes no sense to me for them to repost over and over month after month rather than take anyone up on an offer. :unsure: Sometimes a seller will tell me if they have had other offers that were lower or higher than mine and they refused all bids anyways. :rolleyes:

I need to tally up what it would cost me to buy all the supplies-I have general prices for different things, but never actually totaled all of it. :oops:

Am I right in thinking that you should always buy a filter brand-new, not secondhand?

Am I right in thinking that you should always buy a filter brand-new, not secondhand?

Well, not necessarily. If it's in really excellent condition and can be cleaned/sterilized to your satisfaction, that's great. But some of the filters I've seen accompanying aquarium set-ups on Craigslist are downright disgusting. At the very least, besides the obvious scouring/disinfecting/running PP through it, I would buy new hoses (if it's a canister) and all new media.

Some ad5 even say "tank as-is, you clean and haul," and they've left it full of stagnant scum-covered MUCK. I mean, have some pride. And those are usually the ad5 offering the filters as part of the deal. yikes.gif

That is SO WEIRD. Every time I write the word "A D S" (had to space it there so it would appear correctly), it comes out "ad5." Even after editing. Bizarre.

Guest Trout

That is weird, both the ad.s and the filter being yucky. :mytank1:

I think I'll probably end up buying the filter separately unless I'm blessed enough to find someone with a little pride. :exactly

Cl rocks and sucks at the same time

One lady had a 10 gal for sale, with gravel, a plant and a small castle...

She was selling it for $45

I asked for $25, but she said id have to get it immediatly... or she wont lower the price the next day.

however it was 11 pm, im not gonna leave that late

Now, 3 weeks later she is dropping her price to $25 & begging me to take it since she needs room

too bad now, its too late, and nobody wants to buy it from what she says.... im workin out a better deal... a tank with everything for $10!

Sucks for her