Colour Change Time Again...

jennybugs

Roger my black moor is actually changing colour underneath. I've just read up on the black moor sticky that says colour change doesn't occur in black moors, but Roger is. Is this unheard of?

I'll take pics when their lights come on, but his belly/undercarriage is going silvery gold :unsure:

Curly my once chocolate oranda is now completely orange, which I do know happens, but it's puzzling my that Roger is doing similar?

Rog and Curly are the only 'non-pedigree' goldies I have, unlike the others that are all graded Japanese fish. I don't know if this makes any difference?

Pics later to show how he's changing. You can see a little of his colour change on my avatar actually.

Edited by jennybugs

Mine is silver under the "chin" and has a gold "undercoat" on the belly. (I am making up terms.)

I read that sunlight keeps it black then I read that sunlight makes it turn gold then I read they don't change and I read that they do change....shrugs...

Maybe the Moors that change are mix breeds?

Edited by Texana

i'm sure i'll get corrected if i'm wrong, but my understanding is that true black moors don't change color, but oftentimes telescopes showing their youngster colors are incorrectly labeled as black moors. my hunch is that you'll end up with a beautifully colored (orange or even white) telescope. basically the same situation as your oranda.

my 'chocolate oranda' turned orange and then mostly white, with orange bits here and there. i'm sure she'll end up entirely white one day. and 'red/white ryukin' is losing his red. (both of these statements remind me that i need to update my signature pictures!)

i think i remember a thread forever and a day ago (haven't been around in awhile) that poses some possible connections between the quickness with which black coloring is lost and the kh/gh of the water. i can't remember though...

Funny this topic is here tonight..I just said to my Hubby that Bubble's underneath was looking like it might be getting lighter,I noticed this during feeding tonight :) oh well... no matter what color I love them all the same :)

Thanks for the replies! :D

It's been gradual over the last months looking at photos, but eclipsed by Curly's sudden decision to go for gold :D

I am thinking it may be that he's not a true black moor which is a little sad as it was picked for my OH because he loves true black moors. Maybe my search is on for another one then :doh11:

It was bound to happen Jenny, Dylan started off 99% black but now doesn't have a dot of black left so I wouldn't worry about it.

What we are seeing here is melanophore migration. The melanophores cannot be retained due to lack of sunlight responsible for retaining the melanin. It will happen with almost all black goldfish. Black moors are no exception to that. They tend to gradually turn orange, red or yellow. All my black goldfish aren't necessarily black anymore. They get the orange/yellow tinge and one of my orandas is already turning orange/yellow herself.

its funny about the lack of sunlight because my black ranchu has been solid until this summer when i put him in the pond NOW hes turning gold pretty fast. i thought i was safe since hed stayed black in the house for 3 yrs.

I went to my LFS yesterday and saw some gorgeous jet black ranchus and orandas, but was put off buying one if it's going to change colour :(

The sun does have an affect, but what affect it is, I think depends on the fish. My fish Aiko and Gaara both get darker the longer the light is off of them, some people have fish that get darker with more sunlight.