Noticed A Spot Of Fungus

jody

A-0

Nitrite-0

Nitrate-without a kit at the moment

pH-6.6 tank and tap

API kits drops

Temp-66F

27Gal running for year. Filters are one and two months old. finished cycling completly with new filters 2 weeks ago

2-aquaclear 50(200) HOB

Change 80% weelky 100% monthly

3 telescopes: 3-4",4-5", and 5-6" with tails

Feed twice daily - hikari lionhead, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, homemade gel food(veggie heavy) and peas.

No new fish, no meds

1-telescope(oscar) has small patch (size of a pellet) of cotton like patch

acting and eating fine

Oscar had a little nick in her coat for about a week and now it looks like a piece of lint is stuck to her body where the nick was. I am thinking fungus?

The main Koko's site says to try iodine and then salt. I have never used iodine, how do I use that? Then just salt I presume. I will have to refresh my salting skills as I havent salted since march.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. help.gif

Could you please post pics of the affected area? I am not sure about it being a fungal infection. Bacterial infections have long been misdiagnosed as fungal infections.

Iodine solution are treatments such as betadine. I use betadine for deep wounds on fish especially after surgeries are done. They work effectively for wounds in disinfecting them from bacteria that may set in however I would advise administering it carefully and not hitting the eyes and gills when treating.

We'll still need the pics to be sure of what we are dealing with.

Thanks for your speedy response.

This is the best I can do for a picture for now. Even if I do get a in-focus pic I am not sure you are going to see more than a white spec.

Picture010.jpg

Isnt a fungal infection a bacterial infection? Whats the difference in treatment?

No, they're different. Fungus is saprolegnia whereas bacterial infection is anything perpetrated by gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria although the latter is much more common especially as columnaris or Aeromonas hydrophila. That issue doesn't seem that bad. I'd apply iodine solution on it and add salt as well.:)

smile.gif Thanks

The iodine bottle has a skull and cross bones on the side. So should I make sure I dont get any in the water? Should I isolate Oscar in a smaller container, gently pick her up and apply with a q-tip?

I've never seen that symbol wih my Betadine here. It sounded dangerous to me. What brand is that? Could you please post the whole information written on the bottle?

The brand is Pharmasave (drug store brand) Iodine Tincture BP 2.5%. Medicinal ingredients: Iodine 25mg/ml, Potassium Iodide 25mg/ml. Non-medicinal ingredients: Ethyl Alcohol, Purified Water.

I am actually just going with salt, I noticed a few more small patches starting up. I brought the salt to .1% today and will bring it up tp .3% over the next few days.

Edited by Hawaiian Crush

I kind of jumped the gun on things being cleared up. I just changed almost all the water today so basically there is no salt in there now. I noticed that one spot is back. I do have melafix handy, would that work? I am without a hospital tank at the moment. Also is that iodine solution I have safe or not?

Yes Jody that iodine solution is perfectly safe to use on a fish wound or sore and is a useful thing to have :).

It stains like hek so have some rags handy, wear gloves and maybe glasses for you and any helpers as the vapor is strong.

You can use up to 7% iodine strength on fish but 2 or 3 % is most commonly sold OTC. It is actually more dangerous for people with the real risk of eye damage and although you should be careful to avoid eyes and gills on fish a tiny splash will probably not do harm. Of course, be careful with any topical fish application -not just gills and eyes but the very serious issue of the fish leaving water and suffocating. Some faster than others. Fish should be held very lightly but firmly- not squeezed -always OVER water in case they fall- and applications should be done within 20 seconds without anaesthesia. You can always break and try again if the fish wriggles.

Lupin had a really great suggestion of rubbing your hands with stress coat before any touching of fish to minimise secondary trauma.

Personally I think Maracyns are a very heavy duty medication - and should only be used in rather serious cases and then..given the amount of contraindications (must be used in the dark etc) and the resistance of many bacteria to these two due to overuse or more pertantly maybe ineffective use. Maracyn 2 is incidentally not only ineffective in lit tanks but also in high mineral content and or high organic load which automatically makes it a poor choice for many tanks. I never can understand why these contraindcations are not clearly addressed on packages :(

I would start with salt and swab and let us know if the patch is still there in 5 days or before if it gets pink or spreads.

• 3 weeks later...