Sign in to follow this  
robertcrowe

Treating With Salt

I have a bag of "Fine Sea Salt" containing "Salt Magnesium Carbonate" that was bought at a natural health food store and I was just wondering if I could use it in my tank.

On a sidenote, I will be ordering some Pro-Gold and was wondering if I should add anything else to my order.

Salt Magnesium Carbonate is used as an anti-caking agent in salt (keeps it from clumping up), and it's practically insoluble in water. So that salt would be a no go. Pickling salt or rock salt would be good, or API has its own aquarium salt that's not too expensive, I use it and I like it.

Make sure what you are using is sodium chloride. The only table salt you should avoid are the ones containing yellow prussiate. It is not necessarily toxic in itself but exposure of it to sunlight has been found to generate hydrogen cyanide which may kill your fish. I doubt a darkened room though can cause this issue but it would be more prudent either way to avoid those with yellow prussiate completely.