Filter Media For Fry

Guest pond-fry

Guest pond-fry

Hi all my new goldie friends :)

I really hope you will all forgive me. This question should probably be in the equipment section, and btw I should probably know this already.

But please remember I am completely new to all this. Ive been reading about filtration now for hours and my head is spinning cuz theres so much to learn.

So I decided to sneak a question in here for my fry buddies :rolleyes:

I have this 14+ gallon tank and it came with a filter and pump. At the moment Im only running an air pump with a sponge filter cuz the fry are too small for the filter yet.

But Ive understood so much now, that I think I should somehow prepare the media in the filter already for when I want to use it? Have I understood that correctly?

Should I maybe hang the filter media in the tank with the fry in a knee high so that the BBs would start growing on it already, or is that useless?

My filter is an in-tank filter, eheim 2008. I also have a smaller filter that I got with my 1? gallon tank. Should I maybe use that first for a while and then switch to the Eheim? I wont be adding the filter for at least another 2 weeks, as my youngest fry are only 18 days old.

Thanks a lot in advance. And I hope Im not breaking any rules by posting this in the fry section.

Hanne

You could try the knee high filter media bag in the tank thing, but it may take a while that way.

A better idea may be (if your sponge on the sponge filter is replaceable) to just cut up the current sponge filter and put it in with the other filter media to seed it.

Is that an option?

Hello Hanne,

I understand why you posted this in the breeding section as this is a matter specifically about delicate fry keeping and raising, so it's no problem at all :) I have a few suggestions for you.

First, I agree with Tinkokeshi above, that the best thing would be to remove (at least half or so of )the sponge in the filter and add a dirty-ish piece of floss or sponge media from your established filter (I mean from the place where the eggs were first sprayed). That would probably do it. Fry dont need so very many bbs to cope with their small excretions.

The knee hose idea is okay... but not perhaps the best for fry as fry a) really do tend to get stuck in them :( and b) beneficial bacteria prefer moving/flowing water not stagnant. Aeration is tricky with media in hoses I've found.

Fry are incredibly sensitive to ammonia and will spin or get crooked in as low as 0.25 PPM ammonia so this is a very critical issue and something to 'add' soon.

I was also wondering, do you have an ornament in the other tank you could move in with the fry? A smooth surfaced one? This would have some bbs attached and would be an alternative. The bbs move around and quickly find the filter (which is the bbs ideal homing place as water is running over and through constantly).

If your fry were born/sprayed in the pond it would be perfectly allright to use a smooth stone from the bottom of the pond or some pond filter media.

Guest pond-fry

Thank you Tinkokeshi and Trinket.

Im glad it was ok to ask it here in the fry forum, cuz at the moment I try to focus on what these fry need, then I will work on learning about tanks in general when they grow older.

I think I finally understand about the bbs, seing you say they need oxygen too. I cant take a piece of the filter media from the pond filters. Its a pressurized filter with precut pads.

But I could a) squeze some of the gunk from these pads onto the media in the filter for the fry when I eventually add it. Or b) I could cram the filter media from the filter into the pressure filter now and leave it there to have the bbs grow on it till then.

Im not sure how well the bbs live in the pressure filter outside now, as its getting really cold here, but it would always be better than starting from scratch.

I didnt do it when I added the sponge filter as I was so worried to transfer some bug or parasite into the fry tank when they were still so tiny. Is that a real risk?

At the moment Ive been planning to eventually run both the pump with filter and the sponge filter in the tank when they grow older. But Im realising maybe it will create too much turbulence with both running?

As said before I definately wont add the pump and filter for another two weeks because of the younger group of fry.

At the moment Im not able to even turn the airpump all the way up. Ive had to tie a knot on the tube :-)

I dont have any ornaments in the pond. But I did transfer two small stones with them from the pond, also hoping to transfer some algae for them to nipple on. And I did put them in purely pond water back then, so maybe I did have a slight head start that way.

Thanks for the explanation of the effects of the ammonia. Im getting more and more sure that I had a spike when I lost fry in three conseguetive days. Since I started vaccuming the bottom twice a day and do one bigger and one smaller WC every day they seem to have done so much better. I did actually have a bit of spinning going on back then. I think I actually saved my present smallest fry by starting the extra WC, Cuz hed begun to spin a bit just before.

Im eagerly avaiting my liquid test set. It was shipped from the UK today, so should be here in a few days.

How old, or maybe rather, how big were your fry when you added the pump/filter? I think Id understood it was safe to run just the sponge-filter till they were around 2 months old?

Thanks again for your great help.

I didnt do it when I added the sponge filter as I was so worried to transfer some bug or parasite into the fry tank when they were still so tiny. Is that a real risk?

But I did transfer two small stones with them from the pond, also hoping to transfer some algae for them to. I did put them in purely pond water back then, so maybe I did have a slight head start that way.

How old, or maybe rather, how big were your fry when you added the pump/filter? I think Id understood it was safe to run just the sponge-filter till they were around 2 months old?

It's going to be so fun following your fry!! I'm looking forward to it.

I'm going to try respond to the above points. If Ive missed any Qs be sure to let us know.

What I think you did when you added very sagely, those two little stones from the pond with the fry, was in fact add anough bbs to cover those teeny little fry for a safe arrival. As they grow, and with so many fry as you have, the bbs you brought in on those stones and in the water are stretched to use up the ammonia and were insufficient. So you got a small ammonia spike.

The pond water was the best thing you did, especially loaded with algae. Fry started on algae/planaria do well in growth! When you start water changes I would use half pond water to do them! Not immediate surface water where there are many large bugs, but perhaps from the filter outlet (just passed through filter most aerated water).

Your fry, having being born in a pond have some immunity already to your particular ponds bacteria.

I added the sponge filter from the beginning. Here's a link to what i did in my first 2 fry weeks in detail as the links in my sig are not working.

I use the sponge filter until the fry are big enough not to get sucked in.

Right now I have one very tiny fry and the others are bigger.

They are also from a pond!

Guest pond-fry

Thanks Trinket and Annette.

I promise I will keep posting news and pics in the blog about the fry. Its so nice to share them with others that dont think Im all silly ;-)

Thanks for the heads up on using the stones and the pond-water.

Today I went and brought in two more stones from the pond. Sadly, there still isnt too much algae growing on them, seing my pond is so newly established.

What a good idea to use the pond water for WCs. I would never have thought of that. I will wait till I get my test set though, as Ive never tested my pond water either. I know our tap water is 100% safe as we have very strict rules here about tap water.

Im afraid there wont be much suspended algea left in it though, as I have a uv-light on the filter.

When I brought in the stones, a tiny blood worm came in with them. Three of the biggest frys tried to get it. You should have seen them, every time it wriggled, they raced to the opposite end of the tank in horror :rofl They sure have things to learn before they can go back in the pond in spring.

Thanks for copying the link to your fry blog. Ive read it before, but I sat and read it again, just to be sure I memorized It all. I too keep my curtain drawn at night, cuz I read that earlier on your blog :-)

Thats is a really good way to decide when to put the pump and filter in tank, thanks Annette.

I didnt know you also have pond fry. Are they indoor too? Do you have a blog about them or pictures? How old are they? Sorry for the many questions... but you live so close by, so I got all excited hearing you have pond fry too :-D

Thanks again for all your help, both of you.