Sign in to follow this  
claire_uk

Back To Gravel

I know I havent been around here much lately, had a loto f stuff going on. But after having to replace my Fluval Vicenza tank after the seal went a number of months back, I have been keeping my 56 gallon tank rather bare, with just some fake greass for the loachs. But now I want to go back ot gravel as I really like it, and the fish seemed to enjoy having gravel more than a barebottom tank. It will also mean I can have plants back properly in the tank. Bluey also seemed to do better in a gravel tank for some reason, so will be interesting to see how she reacts to having it back.

I was going to have to wait til payday as I thought my mum had got rid of the gravel from the old tank, but I have just found it in the shed in a bag. It looks ok, so I was thinking of just rinsing it through and adding it back to the tank.

I don't blame you for wanting to go back, I often think about it too but I just can't deal with the extra mess right now :P

Good luck with it!

lol, I find it easier to be honest, always have!! At the moment the tank just looks slimy, partly due to it getting lots of natural light!! And I have never really found it messy under the gravel, but I do have loachs so maybe they move the mess round so it gets taken by the filter, Im not sure, either that or my goldies eat everything!! lol

Guest Trout

Sounds good to me! :blush:

I know a lot of people like bare-bottomed tanks, but for some reason that look drives me nuts and doesn't look right to me. :thumbdown I like natural aquariums and aquascapes. :flowerss A habitat with no substrate is about as natural as, well ----> :gcar:

I drilled holes in rocks and hot glued plants in there for my bare bottoms, and I sprinkled a few colored glass stones around so that it doesn't look totally naked. I'm definitely a fan, it makes maintenance so much easier for me. :)

I also prefer a tank with gravel and never found it messy. The fish are kept occupied rummaging through the substrate.

I prefer my barebottom especially after what happened with my moor Dyson he got a lump of gravel stuck in his mouth if it hadnt been spoted and removed with tweezers he would of most likely died. So all my tanks are gravel free, I just couldnt go back to it

I keep a thin layer of gravel in my non planted tanks.(The GF tank and the Oscar tank.) To me it is less messy. Keeping a bare bottom shows mess much more IMO. (I had to net out stuff every day now I just clean the gravel when I do water changes it is easy with so little gravel.)

Just rinse it really really well and when you think you did it enough do it some more. lol

Good luck

I'm still debating this subject with myself lol, I love the look of gravel in a tank, but also the bare bottom ones I've seen are growing on me and are much easier to clean.

I just cannot make up my mind what to do here at all, I'm hoping my cycle will be finished this week so I better be making my mind up soon lol, ah decisions decisions! krazy.gif

I had gravel and I do like the looks of it. But, like many members here, one of my fish starting choking on it. After that incident I went barebottom.

How about some pics once you're back to the gravel look?

wow lots of debating, cool! Well having kept goldies for 13+ years, and most of that time with gravel, i must say that i prefer it. I have had a fish get gravel stuck once before, and mine like to suck on it at meal times just to scare me, but I find it more natural for them to be rumaging around throughout the day and they just seem much more settled. I also find it easier to keep clean than a barebottom tank, the bottom always looked slimy! lol. I do think that gravel tanks are easier to maintain in shallower tanks though, my 68 gallon was a bit of a pain! I can understand peoples reasons for wanting a barebottom tank, we all have our preferences.

I used to have some large rives stones, but my big boistrous lot made so much noise cluttering them around! The loachs also prefer the gravel to try and bury themselves in, its what they do!

Fantail1 there are updated pics in the goldie pic section.

I just went bare bottom today after always having gravel before! I love the look of gravel but found it so hard to keep completely clean in a large tank. Gravel does look really great though.

I only had a rock get stuck on time. But now I use smaller gravel and have not had the problem since.

I really prefer gravel. To me, it looks neater than barebottom.

And ever since I was little and had fish, my dad always kept gravel in the tank, with no problem.

:)

I too started out with gravel in my tank - about an inch of it actually. I loved the look of my tank with the white gravel, a large Roman ruins ornament and a few plastic plants. But after finding this forum and reading people's horror stories - I immediately took everything out. My tank is now bare bottom with no ornaments and only silk plants. Definitely not as appealing to the eye but at least I'm at ease that my goldfish aren't at risk.