My First Planted Tank

Squik

I've finally started setting up my 91L tank - and my plants arrived today... yay! I have an AquaOne 620.

I read up on what goldies are supposed to find yuckie and planted those. I've got a broad arrow leaf, a few anubias, a couple of crypts, a little java fern and two 'sacrifical' vallas for the gang to chew up. I've used Florish plant tabs as well.

Just started cycling, so the plants will get a chance to settle in before the goldies move in.

006.jpg

Squik,

your tank is going to look great with fish in it! On a photo its really hard to tell just how big it is, Is it a huge tank? I would love a big tank so I could have more babies!

91 liters = 24.0396568 US gallons

nice tank :D

We'll see what happens when FyshLyps and Obama move in... Fyshlyps already has a reputation for destroying anything green

Nice tank!

I've always wanted to have a successfully planted tank. :D

Haven't gotten around to getting a really good one planted though. :)

Can't wait to see how yours progresses!

I love how planted tanks look so... calming. :heart

That's a very nice looking tank :). I just recently bought some java ferns and they seem like they're doing well. Sometimes my fish will go in for a nibble, but they mostly leave them alone.

I bought my plants off of this website. It's a little bit pricey, but the java ferns arrived in great condition.

http://www.aquariumplants.com/

Lovely tank :D

My goldies eat crypts and java ferns but do leave anubias pretty much alone for the snails to graze on.

Thanks everyone... especially those who posted up pics of their own tanks in this section, I spent lots of time looking at yours and copying some ideas :D

I'm still dreading what FyshLips will do to it... I popped some hairgrass in her little tank today and she was literally ripping it out of my hands as I was trying to plant the clump. She must've eaten a fair deal of it during the day as she has green poos everywhere tonight <sigh>

Tank update - 14 days into cycling.

I found a wrecked 4WD fishtank ornament that I thought I had thrown out ages ago. Gave it a massive scrub and popped it in the tank. Hubby and I are mad-keen 4WDers and in the industry as well... so it's fitting that our fish have a 4WD too. Greg even made sure it was 'ramped up' on the rocks so the fish would get a thrill :rolleyes:

One of my crypts (was on the right) died right back, but the root system had spread so I popped it in front of the log - and it is starting to sprout itty bitty leaves! The one on the left looks to go the same way as well, but there are masses of new shoots coming out around the base.

As you can see (compared to the first pic) the Anubias are spreading out and the Amazon has as well. The Java fern in the back is getting tiny, curly green shoots. The Valla are faring okay, some leaves went brown and fell off, but there is new growth too.

I've found a few tiny little snails that survived the ammonia spike... are they okay to leave there, or will I have to hunt them down?

tankday14.jpg

It's beautiful....I bet you're itchin to get some fish in there aren't ya!

Completed cycling today! FyshLyps moves in Monday and I have Marty & Herbie in QT (Changed Obama's name to Marty as he has boogley eyes like Marty Feldman and Herbie is a white Ranchu... looks like a little VW Beetle :D

Fyshlyps copped another furuncle so I am waiting until she is healed up.

• 2 months later...