How Old Is/Was Your Oldest Goldfish?

Guldklumpen

Hi All!

I have been reading a lot about goldfish the last 6 months.

One thing most sites dont agree on is how old goldfish can get.

So, just for info and fun, please tell me how old YOUR oldest goldfish are or was?

And what type it was (if you know).

Tank size info is not nessecery, but that would be nice too.

Maybe we could establish a connection between tanksize and age?

Thank you in advance :)

Regards

Guldklumpen

I have no way of figuring out the exact age of some of my adult goldfish since I didn't ask some breeders how old their goldfish are however my largest black oranda at 7.5" body size not including her 2-3" caudal fin must be at least 18 months old. My next oranda at 7" is probably 2-3 years. The rest ranging from 5-6.5" are getting almost a year of age. The 4" orandas are about 10 months I believe. As for the 2-3" ranchus, they're 4-5 months of age. My 5" lionhead must be about a year already whereas the ryukins range from 8-10 months at 3-4 inches in length. I also have 5-6" watonais at about 16 months. Comet and shub, possibly no more than a year.unsure.gif

When I was a little kid I had a common ("Speedy") for about 6 years and he only died because my mom introduced some new, diseased fish to the tank. Since I've started keeping fancies as an adult, I think my record holder was "Big George" at 4 years, but he would have lived much longer if I had known more about water quality, etc.

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

Thx guys!

I should mention my own fish.

My "Tvilsen" is about 5 years old now and my old, now dead fish "T?sefisken" reached 7+ years old in a 75 liter tank.

Its the white one in avatar pic.

Tvilsen is now living in a 250 liter tank with 3 others and 2 ancistrus catfish.

Keep the age info coming please people :)

I had a common which I won at a fair when I was little, he was called Bisto and lived for about 7-8 years. He reached about 6-7 inches long, I'm guessing he could have lived a whole lot longer and got much larger if I'd known how to properly care for him then. I can't remember how big the tank was, maybe 20 gallons or so, I always had it overstocked and underfiltered though, if only I'd had Kokos back then!

This gets asked a lot so I found one of the old treads.Oldest fish tread

Thx Hidr :)

I read the thread and found the average goldfish lifetime to be about 8-10 years old.

That is kinda surprising to me since i read several places that they often get to be 20+ years with proper care.

Suddenly i feel like hugging my 5+ year old "Tvilsen", i wanna keep her for many more years :(

Anyway, there are exceptions, like this old fella here :) :

This gets asked a lot so I found one of the old treads.Oldest fish tread

If you have not replied to the thread mantion by Hidr, then please

tell me how long your oldest golhfish lived?

Im trying to find enough data to maybe write an article for a danish forum :)

Also if you know of simular threads, then please let me know.

Thx :)

I had a fantail that died just a few months ago. I got him in August 2002 so he was about 7 yrs old. He started off in a bowl (before I found Koko's!) and eventually ended up in a 90 gallon with his "wife" and their baby. :heart

My oldest is around 7 years old and still going strong :) He's a common and around 5 inches long not including tail - I imagine he'd probably be alot bigger by now if only I'd known about this place years ago! But considering all he's been through, I don't think he's doing bad - he's one tough fish ;)

Tonight on The Paul O'Grady show there was an actor doing an interview about his role in Merlin, he was talking about his private life and about his love of animals. He went on to say that his wife and himself were very upset at the moment because their goldfish had just passed away at the grand old age of 26!!!!!! :) I couldn't believe my ears!!!

What an old fish :) was there any pics of it to identify what type it was?

Merlin is an ok series by the way, i like the adventure stuff :D

Sorry Guldklumpen, no evidence of the fish to identify the species! :(

As for Merlin, my fiance likes to watch it but I must say I've never seen it! I love Robin Hood thats good adventure.

As for Merlin, my fiance likes to watch it but I must say I've never seen it! I love Robin Hood thats good adventure.

That it is, i played Robin Hood in a school play once, well actually i played a fat cook Robin sneaks by, but close enough :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest strangegoose

My oldest goldfish was Bob. Bob was 23 when he died. He had a tumor in his mouth and could no longer eat, took him to the vet to be put to sleep. Brought him home and buried him in the garden. He was a birthday present on my 3rd birthday. I have a shubumkin who is about 10.

• 1 month later...
Guest strangegoose

i cried my eyes out when he died,he had been part of my life for so long. i still miss him , silly i know. Bob lived in a tank . As i got older his tank was upgraded so he had more room and i could then get him some tank mates, he out lived most of them.

So far I have had Tinman and Scarecrow for a year and a half. So, I'm guessing Tin was six months or so when I got him. Scarecrow was a little fry. Kansas is probably just under six months old. But I am hoping they will aspire to live as long as Bob!

When I was very young, like 5 or 6 my mom took me to the local pet store. We were looking around and I saw the tank full of feeder fish. I asked her what that meant and she told me. Of course I started bawling and I begged her to get me some to save. We got 6 and most of them died. I had 2 left and those guys got quite large, I'd say about 4-6 inches long and they lived around 10 years. One of them, the white one that I just called the girl, was blind because one of my mom's friends put one of his fish in there and it attacked it. But she lived! They were my favorite fish I taught them how to "kiss" I used to put my finger in the water and they would suck on it like it was food, and whenever I'd walk by the tank, they would kiss in the top of the tank calling me because they saw me, it was so cool! Definitely the noisiest fish I've ever had!