Istvan Moves To Tetracycline City

Nothing has worked so far to get rid of the white patches. So Istvan goes into quarantine.

Let's see what 4 days of tetracycline does.

The bachelor flat.

20091002-193659_1024.jpg

The lonely bachelor.

20091002-193815_1024.jpg

Tinko seems to miss Istvan.

20091002-194326_1024.jpg

Does anyone know how I should dose with 80% water changes daily? Just the regular dose daily, or increase it each day anew?

Aww :( Poor Guy, I sure hope this helps him to feel better real soon!!!I love the third pic...Tinko does look like she's looking for him :) In the second pic(Bachelor Flat) are they air bubbles or is it ich as well?He sure is a handsome fellow :)Best wishes :)

Dan, if you have T tablets and you have to add one a day you can cut each one into a quarter and then one of those quarters into half.

Do your daily 80% daily w/c as usual and add back 3 of the quarters of a new tab and one of the half/quarter..

So you should have one eighth of a tab left over each time.

This will be clean water daily plus the correct daily 80% dose of meds.

If the course is different or powder form adjust it accordingly so you have 80% of the recommended dose repeated with each 80% water change.

You should see improvement within 24 hours if it is the correct antibiotic and this is bacterial.

In the second pic(Bachelor Flat) are they air bubbles or is it ich as well?

That's just air bubbles.

Keep us posted on how Istvan does, I'm curious to see if the meds work.

I'll keep you posted.

Do your daily 80% daily w/c as usual and add back 3 of the quarters of a new tab and one of the half/quarter..

So you should have one eighth of a tab left over each time.

So basically, maintain the original dosing through all the water changes, right?

The water is a little brown colored 12 hours later. It started out a little yellow. Is the brown color normal?

Thanks everyone for the comments, help, and support. :)

I'm so glad Trinket can do math. :)

So sorry Istavan is still patchy. He's such a gorgeous fish. Is it just my fuzzy contacts or are the edges of his fins starting to look a little ragged too? I hope the Tetra. tablets work. I haven't had any experience with them so I don't know about the color. Just wanted to pop in a see how he is.

First, sending good thoughts for Istvan's recovery.

I still have a leaflet from when I treated with Maracyn, and for their Tetracycline product they say, "Tetracycline causes a red discoloration in the water and foam may collect on the surface." Sounds like it may be normal. When I used Maracyn-two, a slightly different antibiotic, my water also went yellow, then brown.

Nothing really to add but I just wanted to let you know I am hoping he gets better soon!!! Awww look at Tink swimming right over to the edge looking down like "come back buddy!"...

Good luck Beanie!!

Tetracycline is an oxide antibiotic. The tank has to be covered/shaded from light for the meds to be effective. The brown skum is the meds oxidising/becoming ineffective..

They dont seem to tell us that on packages :(

Yes its a fairly stable drug for prolonged immersion so you need to maintain the same dose for the 3 or 4 days.

Well, he's been in the dark since Saturday, with a 100% water change, and re-dosing tetracycline every day. Most of the white stuff was gone in a few days. It is all gone now, with just a little difference on the slime coat where it was.

I'll finish to 8 days treatment. Leave him in the hospital tank for 3 days with melafix and clean water. Watch if anything comes back. Then he'll go back with the ladies in the big tank.

I'm sure he'll be happy for the company - then his color can darken up again.

Hsihou says Istvan is a girl. :unsure:

This is great news! So koko was right and this was a lingering bacterial columnaris type infection.

Will you treat Tinko too?

And talking of Tinkos (above :D not in water ) and success stories, CONGRATULATIONS you two love birds on your engagement :heart :heart :heart :heart :flowerss :flowerss :pianobanana

This is great news! So koko was right and this was a lingering bacterial columnaris type infection.

Will you treat Tinko too?

And talking of Tinkos (above :D not in water ) and success stories, CONGRATULATIONS you two love birds on your engagement :heart :heart :heart :heart :flowerss :flowerss :pianobanana

I haven't decided about Tinko (the fish) yet. I'll need a much larger quarantine tank. So for bacteria, will it stay in the water if I treat Tinko too?

Thanks for the congratulations. :):heart

I am so glad he is getting better. I think your QT tank is a five gallon? I have a ten gallon QT that you are more than welcome to borrow in a couple of weeks as soon as my new fish is out of QT. I live in downtown, LA but I know I am coming to the OC a few times over the next month for work.

Anyway, glad the little guy is doing better.

I am so glad he is getting better. I think your QT tank is a five gallon?

It's 2.5 gallon. Thanks for the offer - but I may pick up a rubbermaid container since it has to be dark for tetracycline anyway. :)