What'S Your Tank Temp?

I have heard everything from 70f up to 80f degrees...After recently have forgotten to plug my heater in after tank cleaning,my home temp dropped a bunch overnight and so did the temp in the tanks :( resulting in ICH :( I am just curious as to what temp is best for goldfish,personally I kept mne at 70f,I was told by my lps to remove my heater(as well as by someone on youtube)because goldfish do not need a heated tank!!I know for fact that a sudden drop in temp in any type of tank can be deadly :(

What do you keep your temp at???

I keep my tanks at room temp, usually just at 70*F. My two biggest tanks are downstairs, so in the winter they slow down (almost to hibernation) and I just cut back on food and they're ok.

The babies are upstairs, where it will stay about the same temperature all year, so they will stay at 70*F and the bigger tanks will cool down as winter comes.

Same with Koko although my temperature drops at 74 degrees during rainy season and it is at this point right now. My goldfish remain active and healthy so far.:)

My indoor tanks stay at 78 (my room temperature) in summer, which runs from April to November. When cooler weather comes, I have a heater set at 68 to keep it from falling below that, and the tanks stay at 68-70.

My pond fish, on the other hand, have to deal with much greater temperaure fluctuations. This summer, the pond was as high as 90. Now it is 75, and may go down to the 50s or 60s in winter, maybe even lower if we have a long cold snap.

My temp is about 75 degrees.

No heater, because goldfish are coldwater fish.

My fish actually enjoys when i change 30% water and fills with cold water.

that makes the temp drop to about 71 and they love it :)

I just changed one of my tanks to a tropical.....I was digging under my tanks to find one of the two (maybe 3) heaters that I KNEW where there! Finally I found them! Put one in the now tropical tank. So obviously I haven't run a heater in AWHILE! My tanks do fine.

I agree that when I do big water changes the goldies seem to really like the slightly cooler fresh water!

Edited by Jeana727

This thread has just reminded me I need to switch the heaters on in my tanks to make sure the nighttime temps don't drop below 68.

Over summer the temps have ranged from 70-80 degrees, but the fish seem to enjoy chasing plastic 'ice' cubes round the tank when it gets really warm in their tanks :)

Guest Brian T

I keep my goldfish tank at room temperature. Which is generally 70 degrees since we have central air. I find the tank ranges from 70 to 74 degrees though depending upon if the blind are open and sunny enough outside to warm up our office where the tank is located. During the winter though, the tank should stay at a steady 70 degrees.

I keep the temp in both my tanks at 76 degrees by using heaters. I never get cold (I'm just one of those people) so rarely run the heater in my home during winter. Having heaters in the tanks ensures that things will stay consistent for my fish. I've also found over the years that my goldies are more active above 70 degrees.