Filtration For 170G

kukana d

I posted this in the equipment forum,but thought i'd try it here too:

I am expecting a 170g tank next week and need to order my filtration. My aquatics guy recommended 1 Eheim Pro 3E 2078(180gph) and 1 Eheim Pro 3 2080(320 gph).When I told him I needed 1700 gph-he said he asked around,and that would be WAAAAAAAAY too much current in the tank! Is this an absolute rule of thumb? I want to get this right!!!!!!!!! Does anyone have any suggestions for this volume of water? I would REALLY appreciate your input and advice............thanks

I would go with 4x what the size tank, I have a 160L(42gal) tank with a filter that does 640 Lph. It's always done the job and I haven't had any problems with the water quality or mess floating around in my tank. The current isn't to strong and the fish can still swim properly without having to fight against current to swim from one end to the other.

Kukana, if the filter output flow remains too strong, you can always divert the flow to avoid stressing the fish unnecessarily. Use a spraybar or turn the nozzle upward or sideward so that the flow will disperse instead. There are many ways of diverting the output flow. You could also plug it to a hose connecting to another filter with filter media in it thus getting a much more efficient filtration system.

That's what I do with powerhead output flows that make part of the filtration system thus the poop are readily removed from sight and your tank still looks clean. In another tank, the output flow had to be situated at the back portion so the ryukins will not be swept around and only the comet, shubunkin and BN pleco would enjoy wading on the flow from time to time.:)